Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Celebrities

Joi Sullivan - ASI President

By Brittany Graham
May 24, 2014 - 9:04pm

I had the opportunity to meet and chat with our new ASI President and find out what a few of her favorite things are!     Name: Joi Sullivan   Major: Political Science   Year: 3rd and soon to be graduating!   Hometown: Riverside, California   Relationship status: Single   READ MORE

Chris Apple - Engineers Without Borders President

By Diana Hernandez
May 16, 2014 - 4:08am

Chris Apple, a native of nearby Templeton, CA, is a second year environmental engineer as well as the upcoming 2014-2015 president of Engineers Without Borders at Cal Poly. Along with his commitment to EWB, Chris is also the leading coordinator of IMPACT, a branch project of EWB. Throughout the span of two weekends, May 2 to 4 and May 9 to 11, IMPACT hopes to recruit 1,000 volunteers to commit 4,000 hours of community service in the San Luis Obispo County. READ MORE

Malik Shahbal

By Heather Fissel
May 8, 2014 - 1:04am

Malik Shahbal is currently a computer science senior. But when he's not programming or dealing with codes, Shahbal is simultaneously building his career as a rapper. Her Campus: How is your music career going? Malik Shahbal: Pretty well! I have been doing a lot of shows down at SLO Brew and I have two coming up. I still find a lot of free time to write! HC: How are you handling both school and your music career? MS: I am handling it pretty well! I have been writing music for 10 years, but I didn’t start to get serious about it until 3 years ago when I was disappointed about being stuck in a major I didn’t enjoy all of the time. READ MORE

Tessa Goodwin

By Austin McLaggan
April 19, 2014 - 2:09pm

Name: Tessa Goodwin
Major: Biology (Marine)
Year: Senior
Hometown: Auburn, Wash.
Relationship status: Single
Celebrity crush: John Krasinski
Spirit Animal: Bottlenose Dolphin
Fun fact: I’m an avid rollerblader READ MORE

Campus Celebrities: Ridge Shipley & Chris Eversley

By Allison Royal
April 7, 2014 - 3:24am

SLOsports.net March is always a crazy time. I’m not just talking about the hectic atmosphere of finals and St. Patrick’s Day... no, I’m talking about March Madness. Every year, millions of Americans obsess over which teams will rise to the top in the legendary tournament, and this year Cal Poly became Big West Champions and made it to March Madness for the first time in its history. It was sure as hell a good year to be a mustang. READ MORE

Natalie Baker and Moonstar

By Samantha Pryor
March 23, 2014 - 2:43am

In July of 2013, Cal Poly welcomed home its newest member of the family: Moonstar, a mustang donated by a Cal Poly supporter. Equine Supervisor Natalie Baker teaches an animal science class about equine management, where students learn about the care of horses. Those enrolled in the course help train Moonstar to become the university’s live mascot. “The more hands-on experience that the horse gets, the better he will be in preparation for his début,” Baker said. The anticipated début is expected to be Fall 2014 according to the Cal Poly Magazine. READ MORE

David Knight: 'The VG's Guy'

By Allison Rojas Kirby, Austin McLaggan
March 12, 2014 - 6:22pm

Name: David Knight Major: Anthropology and geography Year: 3rd Hometown: Watsonville, California Relationship Status: Single Celebrity Crush: Natalie Portman Spirit Animal: Mustang Fun fact: I look like Quagmire. (And his coworkers from VG’s call him that sometimes!) READ MORE

Sean Kinsella: He's Done It All!

By Nicole Moore
March 6, 2014 - 1:23pm

Name: Sean Kinsella Hometown: Rocklin, CA Year: Junior Major: Business Administration - Financial Management Minor: Statistics Her Campus: What are you involved with on campus? READ MORE

Joella Oddi: Zumba Instructor

By Allison Rojas Kirby, Austin McLaggan
February 26, 2014 - 8:29pm

Name: Joella Oddi Major: Nutrition, with a minor in Psychology Year: Junior Hometown: Temecula, California Relationship status: Single Celebrity crush: Ryan Reynolds Spirit animal: A fat, wrinkly puppy Fun fact about yourself: I can clap with one hand READ MORE

Michael Lozada - Like Mike

By Brittany Graham
February 16, 2014 - 5:23pm

Michael Lozada keeps busy studying in computer engineering at Cal Poly, but there's something that many don't know about him: He also goes by Like Mike. READ MORE