Campus Cutie and Philosopher Lorenzo Nericcio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Typically spotted sporting light-washed jeans and thick-rimmed glasses, Lorenzo Nericcio is an anglophilic academic with a fondness for bicycles and hiking. When he’s not reading a thick philosophical text while sipping on tea, he’s driving to his next adventure in his Hyundai Accent, which he affectionately named The Walrus.

Major/Minor

Philosophy

Hometown

San Diego

Relationship Status

Single

Well, first and foremost, who are you wearing?

Ha, well right now I’m wearing a sweater from Urban Outfitters and black Levi’s with desert boots. That’s actually fairly representative of my usual outfits.

How would you describe your personal aesthetic?

I try to dress simply but well put-together. My clothes, my bike, my car, and my bedroom all are fairly minimal; I like to keep things clean and timeless.

What would you say is your life philosophy?

My goodness, this question. My friends and I always joke about this because it simply doesn’t make sense to have a philosophy. If I’m a property dualist, or a Kantian, or a modest foundationalist in epistemology, it doesn’t really have anything to do with how I like to live my life — well, with some eccentric exceptions I suppose.

Describe your ideal woman.

Someone very kind and curious about the world always interests me.

What is the meaning of life?

The phrasing of this question masks the proposition that life, in fact, has a meaning, which has really yet to be established. I don’t think it would be right to say either way, and I am extremely mistrustful of people who proclaim to have an  answer.

What is your guiltiest pleasure?

Continental philosophy!

What’s your spirit animal?

I really like crows because they remind me of camping as a kid.

Finally, do we have free will?

Oh man. Well, many people will disagree with me, but I’m going to have to say that the simple answer is yes, but the complicated answer is no. For all practical purposes, anyway, life works as though we are free. But at the neurological or even atomic level it really doesn’t seem that we are — though it’s always remained unclear to me why this should worry anyone outside of a metaphysics argument.

Taylor Steinbeck is a 4th year English major and theatre minor at Cal Poly SLO hoping to pursue an MFA in playwriting post-grad. When she isn't reading, writing, or editing, she's shirking her many responsibilities by scrolling through SJW blogs on Tumblr or gushing over 9gag.com/cute alongside her boyfriend. Taylor was born and raised in Orange County, but fantasizes about one day living in a shoe-box apartment in New York City where the world's theatre hub is only a subway ride away. 
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.