Campus Celeb: Lindsey Allen, The Girl Who Lives Authentically

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Meet Linsdey, the girl who’s not afraid to live boldly and inspire others while doing so. 

HCCP: Year/Major/Hometown

Lindsey Allen: I’m a third year psychology major from San Jose, California.

HCCP: When did you first start your blog? 

LA: I started Building a Vision during my first year at Cal Poly because I desperately needed to find a new creative outlet. I tried getting involved in a few clubs on campus, but they just weren’t cutting it. Originally, it was an online space where I shared pictures of my day-to-day activities and since then it has evolved into a place for women who crave real-talk and refreshing honesty about leading fearlessly authentic lives.

Credit: Lauren Casci 

HCCP: What is “Living Authentically”? 

LA: To me living authentically means truly embracing who you are, living your life unattached from the approval of others, and always honoring your personal values. It’s certainly something that’s easier said than done!

HCCP: Are there certain products your selling along with your brand?

LA: Yes! I just launched my graphic apparel brand Fearlessly Authentic Living. It’s a brand for the doers, makers, movers, and shakers. It’s for women that are not afraid to dance to their own tune, do their own thing, and live a life they absolutely love.

I hope to inspire a movement in which we live authentic lives, find livelihoods that light us up, pursue passions that invigorate our souls, and participate in day-to-day actions that are uniquely us.

Photo Credit: Lauren Casci

HCCP: Where do you get your inspiration from? 

LA: Oh wow – well, lots of places! I primarily draw inspiration from moments and situations in my day-to-day life – struggles I’m facing, things I’m celebrating, and thoughts that I just can’t get out of my head. Aside from that, I follow a few inspiring bloggers from various domains. My current favorites are Rachel MacDonald who dishes up thoughts on real life, Sian Richardson who provides a raw perspective to entrepreneurism, and Jess Lively who features people like Elizabeth Gilbert on her podcast The Lively Show.

HCCP: What is your dream career?

LA: I would love to spend the rest of my working life helping women live fearlessly authentic lives. I’m dreaming up workshops, retreats, and online courses for the future. I know it’s a bit of an unconventional path, but that’s what I’m truly passionate about.

HCCP: What do you hope for your blog to accomplish? Is there a set goal you have? 

LA: Honestly, I just want to spread the beauty of authentic living. With the rise of social media and online content, it is easy to allow ourselves to be influenced by (and compared to) others. I think now more than ever, it is so important to stay true to ourselves and share our unique talents with the world.

Photo Credit: Lauren Casci

Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.