This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Turkey: Engineering Majors

Let’s be real. The engineering majors are in large part what make Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo the highly distinguished school it is today. Cal Poly is recognized nationally for its undergraduate programs in the various fields of engineering. In this way, engineering students are like turkey because they make up much of the student population, clearly making them a main dish. Engineering is typically one of the first things to pop into someone’s mind when they think of Cal Poly, just as turkey is usually what people envision when thinking of Thanksgiving. Turkey can be cooked a variety of ways and yet always seems to taste delicious and leave people happily eating leftovers for days, like how engineering students have a wide range of specialties and never fail to disappoint. Just listening to them talk about how much work they have to do can make you sleepy by association, similar to the effects of tryptophan in turkey.

Mashed Potatoes: Graphic Communications Majors

Graphic communications majors are like mashed potatoes in that you can never have too much. These students have a unique outlook on life, cool plans for the future, and they always have a chill vibe. Just like mashed potatoes, they’re pretty much loved by everyone. Mashed potatoes blend well with other foods, and these students get along with all sorts of other majors.

Sweet Potato Casserole: Architecture Majors

Sweet potato casserole is a complex food that requires a variety of ingredients and lots of effort due to its large amount of preparation and cooking time. Architecture is a difficult subject that often gets taken for granted by people outside of the major, just like grandma’s sweet potato casserole. However, both are special and important to the world; architecture majors are the ones who will design our future homes, office buildings and children’s schools. They are dreamers that know how to manifest their goals into reality. These students know what they’re doing (even if they doubt themselves at times), and are not to be underestimated. With all the work they do, they’ve earned a position of respect, so be sure to show them your appreciation, just as you should to grandma and her casserole.

Butternut Squash Soup: Business Administration Majors

Business administration majors at Cal Poly are focused, polished and even a little intimidating. You’ll often see them in formal business attire for class, which makes them seem even more classy, powerful, and attractive. Butternut squash soup is also a bit intimidating, since it always looks good, tastes even better and has a professional-sounding name. Seriously, it sounds like something you’d only find at a pricey, five-star restaurant. This food item is luxurious and is eaten by the type of people who have an appetizer course on Thanksgiving. Business students are likely to be successful enough in life to someday have things like butternut squash soup as part of their Thanksgiving menus.

Dinner Rolls: Computer Science Majors

Computer science majors actually have a lot in common with dinner rolls. People who don’t know a lot about what these students do may find the major boring at first, which is why this major is so often taken for granted. However, the future jobs of these students are essential to society – especially since our generation is becoming increasingly dependent on computers and the Internet. Bread’s role (no pun intended) is not to be overlooked, since it ties together all the components of Thanksgiving and provides a reliable and tasty flavor to the mixture of dishes. Both dinner rolls and computer science majors are important and deserve more recognition.

Vegetables: Agriculture Majors

The agriculture majors (agricultural business, agricultural communications, etc.) are likely to identify with vegetables such as corn, green beans and asparagus. These foods are popular and go quickly on Thanksgiving, just like agriculture majors are popular at Cal Poly. They are prepared in a variety of ways and never fail to brighten up a plate with a bit of color. Cal Poly would be lost without its agriculture majors, as they are often entertaining, caring and motivated people with a love for food and animals. Vegetables are crucial in making Thanksgiving dinner as healthy as it possibly can be, and agriculture students are essential in making Cal Poly the great school that it is.

Gravy: Social Sciences Majors

All of the social sciences majors (anthropology/geography, sociology, etc.) are like gravy! They cover a wide range of subjects in their curriculum, just like gravy goes over many different foods. Gravy brings excitement to your plate and makes the food taste so much better. Similarly, social sciences students give new and unique perspectives to common subjects. They dabble in psychology, biology, geology and more! Their versatility is ultimately what makes them essential to society, like how gravy is essential to Thanksgiving dinner.

Stuffing: Construction Management Majors

Stuffing is a core part of Thanksgiving and is also one of the hardest dishes to perfect. It takes a lot of effort, coordination and expertise to make a great stuffing (and can also involve sticking your hand up the gutted backside of a turkey). Construction management majors know how to deal with a set agenda, oversee operations and create something magnificent in the end. One mistake could cost people their lives or their great Thanksgiving dinners. It’s about using the right materials and sticking to the plan or recipe. With proper discipline and execution, the ultimate stuffing will be achieved. Maybe a construction management major should cook your stuffing this Thanksgiving.

Cranberry Sauce: English Majors

English majors and cranberry sauce are the underdogs – massively underappreciated and underestimated. These students are highly intelligent and can quote obscure and random authors from different centuries anytime they want. They are philosophers, scholars and poets. Cranberry sauce is fascinating and mysterious, just like an English major. Cranberry sauce supposedly comes from berries, but is so versatile it can be either served in a bowl as a liquid or in jelly-slices as a solid! Either way, it always seems to taste delicious and never fails to look really cool while doing so. Therefore, both English majors and cranberry sauce have the potential to succeed at whatever they’re doing and still look great while doing it, so they should never be looked down upon.

Mac-n-Cheese: Child Development Majors

It’s pretty safe to say that child development majors will be spending more time at the kiddie-table than the adult table on Thanksgiving. Whether it’s for “research” or just for fun, because after all it’s more enjoyable listening to your five-year-old cousin talk about her new iPhone than arguing with your great aunt over your plans for the future. There’s no shame in sitting with the children, and like their attraction to mac-n-cheese, children are often drawn to child development majors. Even if this food item is only meant for a select group of picky-eaters, that just makes it more special.

Wine: Wine and Viticulture Majors

Regardless of what the haters, aka beer drinkers, may say, wine is completely essential to the Thanksgiving experience. How else are you going to get through being forced to sit in one room with all of your relatives? Wine and viticulture majors are students that work hard for the good of society – they’re the ones who will produce and sell the wine that will be consumed by future us. They need to be cherished, just like wine. Not all heroes wear capes.

Pumpkin Pie: Mathematics Majors

Pumpkin pie is obviously linked to mathematics majors – they just can’t seem to get enough pi. With the association to the famously “basic” Starbucks PSL put aside, the flavor of pumpkin is one that never seems to get old. Just like math, its intricate beauty is something that has successfully stood the test of time. While some foods become popular as fads that soon die out, pumpkin will always be cherished.  Mathematics is a core subject and pumpkin pie is a staple Thanksgiving food. The world would be nowhere without math and pumpkin pie.

Sarah Drake is a (literally) colorful girl who loves music, food, puppies, and sleeping. You can find her around campus holding coffee and excitedly ranting about something random.