Budget Bites: Cheap, Delicious Recipes to Try Tonight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

“But I’m a poor college student!”

We always use this excuse on our parents — that we’re barely surviving on week-old meatloaf or ramen. Well, it’s about time we break free from our stereotypes, because being on a budget doesn’t mean you can’t have delicious food! Here are a few recipes I’ve created that won’t break the bank, are healthy and so yummy!

Kale Chips

Kale lasts forever, unlike spinach. What’s even better is that the amount of Vitamin K you will get out of these bad boy leaves! Plus you can find it at any local grocer. My favorite is the Trader Joe’s $1.99 per bag deal!

2-3 handfuls of kale2 tbsp. olive oilPinch saltPinch pepper1 tbsp. crushed garlic

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Mix all ingredients together, place on cookie sheet and let cook for 10 minutes. Viola, a healthy snack for you hardworking ladies!

Rosemary Chicken

What is great about being almost anywhere in San Luis is the amount of rosemary bushes. Here’s to the free rosemary! So next time you’re walking to class and notice a rosemary bush, pick it. It’s dinnertime!

Marinade:

2 tbsp. minced garlic3 tbsp. olive oil4 sprigs of rosemary, cleaned and minced3 tbsp. lemon juiceSalt and pepper to taste2-3 chicken breasts

In a resealable bag, combine all the marinade ingredients in the morning and let them take a little bath together. When you come back from class, the chicken will have absorbed all the flavors, so it’s ready to place in the oven.

Preheat oven to 425 to a broil and let the chicken cook for 6-7 minutes on each side. Use the extra juices from the beg and pour on top of the chicken. There should be leftovers!

Southwest Corn Chili

Folks, what we have here can last for months in the freezer and still taste as if you made it that day. Take a couple of cans of beans and corn, and you practically have yourself a meal that’s under a normal college budget.

1 can of kidney beans (drained)1 can of black beans (drained)1 can of stewed tomatoes (keep juices)1 can of salsaHalf chopped onion4 cloves of garlic2 tbsp. brown sugar1 tbsp. cumin1 tbsp. chile powderSalt and pepper to taste½ cup of water

Add all the ingredients together in a large pot. Let simmer for 45 minutes on low heat — you’ve got a great pot of chili that will last for a week. P.S. this makes a great freezer bag meal as well!

Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.