Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Blog

99dresses: Guilt-Free Online Shopping

By Kayla Missman
April 19, 2014 - 9:00am

Shopaholics unite — there’s a new store, and it’s right in the palm of your hand. With 99dresses, an app that recently hit the iOS app store, you can completely revamp your closet for a small fraction of the price (um, did we just die and go to heaven?). Here’s how it works: after making an account on 99dresses, you post clothes that you no longer want. Then, you can purchase other users’ items, paying just a small fee and shipping. You can have a brand new closet in a matter of weeks! READ MORE

Ending the Thigh Gap

By Brittany Graham
April 18, 2014 - 9:00am

It's almost that time when jean shorts and sundresses are pulled out from the midst of your closet and achieving your "summer body" is all you've been thinking about. Pinterest boards and Tumblr blogs dedicated to fitness are becoming your daily go-to websites and achieving the "thigh gap" might be on your list of goals next to eating healthy and working out more. I will be the first to admit that I have struggled with many issues when it comes to my weight, pushing myself to not give up until I had the best body, including the thigh gap. Why? Because that was what I thought looked good; models had it, other girls had it and I thought guys liked that. That was my mindset until I discovered that having a thigh gap was almost impossible....

DIY: Paper Flag Bunting

By Melissa Fernald
April 17, 2014 - 7:34pm

Hey guys! I am here with another fun DIY.  This is something easy to spruce up the walls of your bedroom or living area with little supplies and minimal effort. Here's what you will need: 1. Decorative paper 2. String 3. Scissors 4. Tape READ MORE

James Franco is Gross

By Nicole Moore
April 16, 2014 - 9:00am

A week ago, leaked images from James Franco’s Instagram account revealed he attempted to have sexual relations with a 17-year-old. The young woman in question has been chastised for releasing said images and Franco has painted himself as a victim of social media. Certain news outlets have pointed out the age of consent in New York (where both Franco and the young woman were residing at the time) is 17, so even if they were to have sex, everything would be perfectly legal. However, this would be ignoring the fact Franco is a 35-year-old man looking to have sex with a teenager....

How To Land Your Summer Internship

By Samantha Pryor
April 15, 2014 - 2:13pm

It’s that time of year again — your parents' constant nagging sets in and you realize that you have to actually go out and get that summer job or internship. We’ve all been through it, and now that we are in college, it’s impossible to escape. As if searching and applying for jobs wasn't enough work already, preparing for an interview is the icing on top of the cake. Job interview anxiety is real and the toll it takes is quite draining. We feel nervous, scared and maybe even helpless at times. Dressing up to impress the employer that was once in our shoes can be a daunting task, but here are some tips to overcome your nervousness and land your job like a pro. READ MORE

A College Girl's Guide to At-Home Beauty

By Brittany Graham
April 13, 2014 - 9:00am

Spring is here — once again, us girls have to deal with another season change, meaning more allergies, humidity and havoc on your skin. With beautiful weather, working out and long days of little sleep, we're going to need some at-home beauty remedies to save our lives! For a red-free face If you can't seem to get the red tones out of your face, look no further. You will need: egg yolk and lemon juice READ MORE

5 Products for Flawless, All-Day Makeup

By Savanna Goltzer
April 12, 2014 - 9:00am

It’s the start of a new quarter, and the last thing any of us busy girls needs to worry about is coming home at the end of a long day to find that our makeup has not survived the day. So what is the key to keeping your makeup looking fresh and fabulous even after a grueling day of class and work? It’s simple: primer, primer, primer! Foundation and eye shadow primers help create a smooth canvas for the application of product and are crucial in making your makeup last as long as your hectic day! READ MORE

Why You Should Love 'The Mindy Project'

By Frances Mylod-Vargas
April 11, 2014 - 9:00am

Mindy Lahiri is far from your typical OB/GYN (obstetrics and gynaecology) doctor. With her love of designer clothing, interest in all the latest pop culture and remarkable Justin Bieber knowledge, she sets herself apart from the stereotypical qualities associated with doctors. Often petty and rash in her decisions, her character is thoroughly entertaining to watch in the show “The Mindy Project,” as her audience gets to witness the countless awkward and sometimes painful-to-watch situations she ropes herself into. READ MORE

Top 10 Movies To Watch This Spring

By Melanie VandenBerghe
April 10, 2014 - 9:00am

With Oscar season behind us and summer blockbusters just around the corner, the movie buzz this spring has quieted somewhat for the time being. However, by third quarter, we’re all looking for any excuse to take a break from our studying. Here’s a list of the top 10 movies to get your mind off of school as the weather warms up. 1. Divergent READ MORE

Which Birth Control Method is Right For You?

By Nicole Moore
April 8, 2014 - 9:00am

Finding the right birth control method can be tricky. We all know about condoms and the pill, but there are many more options available. Find out which one is best for you. The Implant: This matchstick-sized rod is inserted under the skin in a woman’s upper, inner arm by a health care provider. While it costs anywhere between $400-800, the implant lasts three years. The Implant is 99 percent effective in preventing pregnancies.  READ MORE