Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Blog

Summer Music Festivals

By Heather Fissel
June 13, 2014 - 6:26pm

Music festival season is in full swing. It started with Coachella, which had more than 90,000 people attendees each weekend! College students love the festival culture, and it’s gotten a lot more popular in the last couple years. Music is a huge part of college life and festivals of all sizes are always full of college-aged students listening to music performances that feature everything from indie rock to EDM. READ MORE

The Clarisonic: Worth the Splurge?

By Savanna Goltzer
June 12, 2014 - 3:40pm

By Savanna Goltzer If you’ve walked through any major retailer, whether it be Sephora, Ulta, Nordstrom or Macy’s, you’ve probably noticed the Clarisonic. You might have even been intrigued by it, but then looked at the pricetag and thought “No way!” The idea of spending over $100 on a face cleansing brush does seem pretty absurd, and was definitely how I felt when I first learned about the skin care cleansing system. READ MORE

Summer Recipe: Infused Lemonade

By Frances Griffey
June 11, 2014 - 11:19am

Summer is the time for lounging by the pool, soaking up the sun and drinking chilled cocktails. Nothing’s better on a hot summer’s day than an ice-cold glass of lemonade, but don’t settle for the standard old-fashioned lemonade you’ve had since childhood (although that is still quite delicious). Shake up your classic recipe this summer by adding flavored simple syrups. READ MORE

#Yesallwomen

By Shelley Westerson
June 10, 2014 - 2:45pm

By Shelley Westerson You may have seen the #yesallwomen trending on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter recently and have wondered to yourself, what's this all about? Some would call it a feminist movement for women, but that is a much too simple explanation of what the hashtag stands for. READ MORE

Secret California Getaways

By Anuja Argade
June 9, 2014 - 11:44am

Ah, it’s finally time! Summer is almost here. Since our three-month-long stretch of freedom is quickly approaching, it can be a little daunting to make plans if you don’t know where to go. Have no fear! If you’re staying in sunny California this summer, check out these hidden gems that will take you far without ever having to leave the state. READ MORE

DIY: Clay Jewelry Bowl

By Melissa Fernald
June 8, 2014 - 1:32pm

I've always loved wearing rings, so having places to put them is essential. I have found myself collecting little trays and bowls over the years to put my jewelry in, and I recently found a DIY article for making one of my own. This article shows you how to make your own jewelry tray, which I will demonstrate in a DIY below! READ MORE

Reflection on Freshman Year

By Samantha Pryor
June 7, 2014 - 10:39am

As my freshman year is coming to a close at Cal Poly, I am struck with complete and utter disbelief. I cannot believe that in a blink of an eye, my first year as a Mustang will be over. As cliché as it may sound, it really does feel like just yesterday I was saying goodbye to my parents and unpacking my belongings in my new room. READ MORE

Book Review: The Divergent Series

By Frances Griffey
June 6, 2014 - 1:42pm

Last weekend, I finally finished reading the Divergent series. My sister had been trying to convince me to start the books for at least two years. I thought it was just going to be some drab variation of “The Hunger Games” (which I loved), but I craved a new reading experience and didn’t feel like reading something so similar. READ MORE

What Your Breakout Is Telling You

By Dana Rao
June 6, 2014 - 12:03pm

Acne and the occasional big zit can be serious problems for all of us (especially the day before a date or special occasion.)  Have you wondered what those sudden pimples are telling you? According to some Chinese Medicine practitioners and beauty gurus like bubzbeauty, certain parts of the face represent internal areas of the body. This is called “Face Mapping.”  According to this theory, eating or cutting out certain foods, exercise, regular sleep (and maybe a normal check-up at the doctor’s) can help calm your acne as well as improve the health of your internal organs.  READ MORE

How to Stay Cool in the Heat

By Heather Fissel
June 5, 2014 - 11:37am

Temperatures are off the charts. The record high for San Luis Obispo was set in May with 103 degrees reported at the San Luis Obispo Airport. The previous record high for this time of year was 94 degrees, set back in 1970! If you are living on campus and are lucky enough to have experienced the heat without any air conditioning, I’ve researched some tips to help keep you and your room as cool as possible during those scorching days. READ MORE