Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Blog

Adventures of an Ag Student

By Davis Neary
October 29, 2014 - 12:50pm

In kindergarten, your fun loving teacher would have you sit, crisscrossed applesauce, on the colorful rug with crisp yellow letters in alphabetical order. He or she would ask each of you what you wanted to be when you grew up. Naturally, princesses, firefighters, presidents and policemen are the typical answers to this age-old question. But why isn’t being an agriculture teacher or dairy nutritionist a common response? It really comes down to exposure to agriculture. Because of delayed exposure to the awe-inspiring world of agriculture, I was one of the first agriculturists in my family. READ MORE

5 Tips for Rocking Your Next Interview

By Avrah Baum
October 29, 2014 - 9:47am

The job description sounds perfect—or you just really need a job. Either way, the only thing that stands between you and that regular paycheck is the job interview. While it's totally normal to be stressed about the prospect of convincing total strangers that they (errr, the company)  needs you in their life, we've got five tips that will definitely get you the job. 1. Do Your Homework READ MORE

Why Quitting Is Actually a Good Thing

By Brittany Graham
October 22, 2014 - 10:34pm

Many of us see quitting as a failure, but is it really quitting or are we just moving on? We’ve grown up with heroes in movies that face it all, never giving up despite how hard things get. Society has given us the expectation that when life gets tough we must fight back and battle on. There’s no denying that we are humans of habit, but when is enough really enough? There are plenty of things that we do in life that we don’t give ourselves enough credit for. We do things for our friends, teachers, family and employers, but what about ourselves?  READ MORE

Dressing for an Interview: A Classic Look

By Savanna Goltzer
October 20, 2014 - 9:07am

As I’m sure we’ve all experienced, being uncomfortable with what you are wearing is one of the worst feelings in the world.  It instantly lowers your self-confidence and makes it hard to focus on anything else. As college women, it is important to have at least one outfit in our closet that can be easily accessed for an interview. Since interviewing for a job or internship is one of the most nerve-wracking things that most of us will ever experience, you shouldn’t let worrying about what to wear add to the stress! It’s all about feeling confident, and dressing the part is half the battle. Even if you are secretly scared out of your mind, putting a great outfit together that is appropriate and comfortable will ease the process....

A Collegiette's Perspective on Love

By Frances Mylod-Vargas
October 16, 2014 - 9:32am

Growing up as a girly teenager, I partook in all the traditional stepping stones of becoming an adult. In middle school, I was the epitome of a teenager: obsessed with Zac Efron after watching “High School Musical,” and memorizing all the lyrics to the latest Taylor Swift hit. It wasn’t until high school when I realized that real relationships were actually happening around me. Though I didn’t partake (I was an immature high schooler), I saw my girl friends go on first dates and have boyfriends. Some of them even fell in love. I watched and waited patiently in the wings for the perfect guy to come and whisk me away and expose me to this mysterious world of love and relationships. READ MORE
...

6 Weird but Cool Uses for Lemons

By Julia Tettamanzi
October 12, 2014 - 9:58am

We’ve all heard the saying, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade,”--but lemons are worth so much more than just lemonade. They're a rich source of nutrients such as Vitamin C, Calcium, and antioxidants which protect our cells from damage. There are countless benefits and uses to lemons, many of which you probably haven’t heard of. Here are some tips and tricks to incorporating one of our favorites citruses into your life style. Liz Lemon approves of this message. READ MORE

How to Make Your Makeup Last Forever (Or At Least the Day)

By Cathie Deane
October 9, 2014 - 9:00am

How much time do you put into your morning makeup routine? Ten, twenty, maybe even half an hour of your day can goes towards looking your best for the next 16 hours. Wouldn’t it be great if your makeup didn’t run, smear or fade away so you didn’t look in the mirror at 5 p.m. and say, “What happened to my face?!” All makeup wearers know what we’re saying. Here’s five makeup tips to keep your fabulous look lasting longer. 1.  A prepped face will seal the case. READ MORE

The Face Essentials That Will Give You Great Skin

By Samantha Pryor
October 5, 2014 - 9:00am

We’ve all been there—that pimple that seemingly takes up your entire forehead, the sunburn on your nose that peels just in time for the first day of class or even the hardening of your eye lashes when you remove mascara that has been on for an entire day. Whatever your facial disaster may be, we want you to know that you are not alone. There is a solution that will help keep your face healthy without breaking the bank! Using these simple five products listed below, you can take better care of your face without stripping it of its natural oils and help yourself prevent breakouts. 1. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser READ MORE

The 4 Tools Your Organization Arsenal Isn't Complete Without

By Kaylee Bingham
October 4, 2014 - 6:44am

In today’s technological age, there is always something new and better coming out just around the corner. From finding someone near you who wants to cuddle (Cuddlr), to an app that lets you pretend to pop bubble wrap (BubbleWrap), apps are constantly evolving and improving to do just about anything. There is also a never-ending list of apps that can help you get and stay organized. Here are a few of the easiest ones to use that are most efficient. READ MORE

Gourmet Collegiette: a Fabulous Fig Tartine Recipe

By Anuja Argade
September 30, 2014 - 1:00pm

One disadvantage of living on the west coast is the lack of true seasons. One advantage of living on the west coast is the bountiful harvest of seasonal produce despite this lack of true seasons. California is blessed with such agricultural diversity especially when autumn rolls around. Today I present to you a fabulously simple tartine recipe highlighting the queen of early fall fruits: the fig. (If you don't know what Higuera is Spanish for, look it up!)   Ingredients 1 French-style bread loaf 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 cups ricotta (do this step at home here!)...