The Best Stores Downtown For Christmas Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Christmas is coming up and that means us broke college students need to find a way to show all of our friends and family we love them using 20 bucks or less. Downtown may feel like a maze of stores, restaurants and boutiques with large dollar signs out front, but don’t worry there are many places to get that special gift for all those special someone’s. 

Stop 1: Cal Poly Downtown Store

This is an easy go-to! You don’t need to ball out and get everyone a t-shirt, try keeping it simple with Cal Poly Chocolate ($2) or Cal Poly Jams ($6). For the wine lover in your family you can even grab a Cal Poly 2014 Pinot Noir or a 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon. For your younger cousins give them a lanyard ($8) and car sticker ($6). Probably the easiest on the list is your grandparents because what grandma or grandpa wouldn’t look darling with a Cal Poly mug ($9).

Stop 2: Victoria’s Secret

Skip the wall of panties and bras and make a small gift bag using the smaller (and cheaper) items in the store. Make any girl grin with Beauty Rush Flavored Gloss ($10, or 5 for $25) or Victoria’s Secret Velvet Matte Cream Lip Stain ($14). There is also a plethora of fragrance mists and lotions ($8-18) that could make a super sweet gift. If those gifts don’t call your name, then a nighttime tee ($25) is always a useful gift. 

Stop 3: Beverly’s Fabric and Crafts 

Keep your little brother or younger family members calm with some Color Me Happy coloring books ($15) (I’m sure their parents will thank you). You could also get your crafty friend new paint brushes ($10) or flat canvases ($5). Get your sorority sisters paint ($8) and the wood cut out Greek letters ($3)! Even your roommates would totally appreciate new wall or door decorations ($5). There are also tons of fabric ($5 per yard) and yarn ($5) for that busy bee friend who loves to create. 

Stop 4: Super Silver

Don’t go for an expensive gem necklace here, instead get a cheaper yet still cute ring or toe ring for a friend. With their pay by measurement policy, it is super easy way to get a cute and thoughtful gift for a friend without paying the same price you would at a local boutique. They also have frequent sales that could make your gift even cheaper. 

Stop 5: Bath and Body Works

Everyone loves yummy smelly products and this store is full of them. For all of those on your list living on campus who can’t use candles, get them some wall plug ins (6 for $24) to brighten up their room. Buy a lotion (3 for $12.50) and mist (4 for $20) combo to keep your friends smelling good or even go for those super fun and bubbly hand soaps.

Stop 6: Heavenly Couture

This is the best place to get that cute outfit for a friend as everything is $17.95 or less. Buy that sweet jacket or fun skirt and then stop and check out their lipstick section by the counter. Get your edgy friend a deep brown lipstick or your flirty friend a pastel pink lipstick and pair it with a cute outfit piece and tada it’s the perfect gift!

Stop 7: Gift Cards

If picking out a specific gift for every friend just seems like too much work, just give out gift cards! You can make each gift personal with a homemade card and then slap a $10 gift card to Gap, Starbucks, Victoria Secret, Splash Cafe, Pete’s Coffee, Powell’s Candy Shop or any of the other stores downtown. 

Happy hunting and Merry Christmas! 

Ashlyn Donnahoe

Cal Poly '18

Ashlyn Donnahoe is a senior at Cal Poly SLO majoring in English with a minor in Child Development. After college, she hopes to teach kindergarteners how to be super adorable and read Dr. Seuss for a living. Ashlyn has loved writing since she was young, debuting her talents as a second grader with her first book The Very Fat Cat (trademark pending). These days Ashlyn spends most her time watching Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares and adding to her ever-growing indoor plant collection.