The Best of British Television

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

If you’re a T.V. addict like me, you know your way around the remote. But unfortunately, many of us in America are unaware of the amazing variety of programs that the U.K. has to offer. Get a glimpse of British culture by watching some of their best T.V. shows. Here are some suggestions:

Sherlock

This series has become so popular, I’d be surprised if you’ve never heard of it. Based off of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s “Sherlock Holmes” book series, this show stars the very talented Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. This duo has an amazing organic on-screen relationship as they embark from one mystery to the next. “Sherlock” has only three episodes per season, each running for about an hour and a half. With only three seasons released so far, the only downside to becoming a “Sherlock” fan is the unbearably slow wait between seasons. (We waited almost two years for season three!)

Doctor Who

If you know anything about British T.V., you probably know“Doctor Who.” Having premiered in 1963, it is famous for being the longest-running science fiction show in the entire world. It follows the adventures of The Doctor, an alien/Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, along with  his various companions. The cheesiness to drama ratio of the series is perfect. I recommend starting with the new first season that aired in 2005, after the show’s long hiatus. If you like what you see and become a really dedicated fan, then go back and watch the “Classic Who” of the ’60s.

Robin Hood

This gem unfortunately only lasted for three seasons— but man, were they good! Robin is played by the lovely (and gorgeous) Jonas Armstrong; each episode is a new adventure for him and his band of outlaws in Sherwood Forest.

Being Human

This show challenges the traditional monster stereotype, as it portrays the lives of a werewolf, vampire and ghost who all work together to stay under the radar. The series was so good, America decided to remake the BBC’s version in 2011.

Downton Abbey

Despite what you may have heard, “Downton Abbey” is not just enjoyed by the older generations. It tells the story of the Crawley family and their servants in the early 20th century. This show has won numerous awards, including a Golden Globe for Best Miniseries of Television Film. It’s worth checking out!

Skins

This nitty gritty drama centers around the lives of a group of teens who are just trying to get by. As they deal with love, life and loss, they learn what it means to grow up in a hard world. Dealing with life by doing drugs, drinking and partying, they all experience their fair share of life lessons. With a new gang of friends featured every two seasons, the show never gets old. This program was also reinvented by America, but the British version is definitely better.

Broadchurch

This relatively new show has only one season so far. It stars David Tennant (the 10th Doctor in “Doctor Who”) as a determined detective who is trying to solve the mysterious murder of an 8-year-old boy found at the bottom of a cliff. What was presumed to be a suicide twists into a thrilling mystery that will leave you guessing a different suspect at the end of every episode.

Misfits

In the traditional superhero-esque style, after a freak lighting storm, a group of troubled teens develop unique abilities. These former strangers must work together to control, hide and master their newfound powers. Each episode brings something new to the table, and the plot twists are endless.

My Mad Fat Diary

My most recent obsession. This is an amazing and empowering series. It follows the life of a girl, Rae Earl, who is trying to fit into society again after being recently released from the hospital after a suicide attempt. It deals with really important issues like self-harm, both physical and mental, in a flawless way. It’s a must-watch! Rumor has it the USA is in the process of creating their own version of this inspiring show.

Top Gear

If you’re into cars, this is the show for you. ’Nuff said.

The Office

That right, ladies—“The Office” was not America’s invention. The original “Office” started in 2001 in the United Kingdom. Going through withdrawals of the recently discontinued show? Experience it anew by marathoning the British version.

Clearly, we can take way more than just tea and cute Union Jack shirts from across the pond. Next time you need something to Netflix, check out these great British shows!

I'm Frances. I'm 19 and am currently studying anthropology and geography at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. My ultimate passion is travel but I also love to eat, cook, read, and write. I hope to join the Peace Corps in a few years and make a tiny difference in the world.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu