Best 5 Study Spots at Cal Poly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.
I know that studying for exams, whether it be midterms or finals, can be really stressful. What can be even more stressful is that everyone during this time needs to study, and so places such as the library and the University Union can get beyond overcrowded. So now you are left in a terrible situation; you need to study but you have no place to study!

To help fix this issue, I have created a list of five of the best outdoor (yes, I said outdoor) study spots to help you prepare for your exams.

First things first, why should you study outside? Exams can be stressful enough, and you need to help eliminate some of that stress. By studying outdoors, the fresh air will help you to relax and can help release some of that stress. Studying outdoors can be a win-win situation for you. You get to release some stress and ace your exam!

So, now you are probably wanting to know all about this totally awesome study spots. Okay, well here they are…

Spot #1: The seating area outside of the Davidson Music Center
After you walk up the stairs to the Davidson, there is a nice, little grass area with a tree that provides just the right amount of shade. There are also two benches where you can sit, relax and study. This place is always pretty quiet, with only the music kids walking in and out of the building. From this small seating area, you can also overlook the UU and see everything that is going on.

Spot #2: The famous Dexter Lawn
If you want a place that is a little more happening, then Dexter Lawn might be the place for you. Situated in a main spot on campus, Dexter Lawn is a great place to sit and study. 

Spot #3: Orfalea College of Business Lawn
This lawn is situated right in front of the College of Business, and is usually fairly quiet. This lush, green lawn makes for a great place to get some studying done. 

Spot #4: Courtyard next to University Union and Administration Building
This little seating area is fairly quiet, and it has some great seating where you can get comfortable and study. This is a great spot if you don’t necessarily want to go sit on a lawn, but still want a quiet spot. Plus, you get a beautiful view of our Mustang. 

Spot #5: Cal Poly Remembrance Pond
This is such a serene spot. It is super quiet and relaxing, and you will have a great time studying here. You will most definitely get all of your studying done!

All of these spots are great places to go instead of your typical indoor studying spots. So when you are stressing about exams and trying to find a good place to study, try out one of these cool outdoor study spots! 

Emily has also authored political articles for Restless Magazine and numerous inspirational and empowering pieces for Project Wednesday. When she isn't writing, she can be found flying off to her next adventure, attempting new recipes, listening to one of her infinite playlists on Spotify, or cuddling with her dogs. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @emilycveith.
Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.