Ariana Torres, Cal Poly’s “It” Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Meet Ariana! But we just call her Ari. She’s a biomedical engineering major with a minor in computer science. She is a total it girl, and is taking on Cal Poly!  

HCCP: Why did you choose your major and minor? 

Ari: I worked in a hospital for two years in high school. I always knew that I wanted to do something to help people, but just not a doctor. I initially came in as a biology major, but I just felt that something was missing from my major. I took a few biomedical engineering classes and loved it, and I loved doing the homework. I know it sounds kind of nerdy. As far as my minor goes, I love coding. Even though my workload can be stressful, I just thought, “Why not add a minor?! So what if I am here forever!”. It may be a lot of work, but it’s also a lot of fun. 

HCCP: What’s it like being a girl in the engineering field?

Ari: Initially it was really intimidating to be around a lot of guys, especially since they know so much about the topic. You have all the child protégés who built their first computer by the time that they were twelve. But it’s really humbling to be in an environment of people who are really knowledgable. I don’t really view it as a road block anymore. I would like to see more girls in the engineering field, but it’s good to see that more and more girls are becoming involved.

HCCP: What are your future plans for your major?

Ari: I really want to work for PG&E. Actually, I am interning there this summer. I will be working in the cyber security department. I would love to work at the facility in Morro Bay in the future, especially because I love kayaking and Morro Bay is great for that.

HCCP: What clubs are you involved in?

Ari: I am involved in Engineers Without Borders, Malawi Team, and WISH (Women Involved in Software and Hardware). Malawi Team is a great experience and it’s nice to work on projects with other engineers for low income communities. 

HCCP: This year you are a Community Advisor, also. Why did you apply to be a CA?

Ari: I know that it seems cliché, but I just wanted to make a difference and be a mentor for students. Last year, my CA was there for me and helped me to make connections. I want to do the same for my residents. It may seem silly, but I am so much like a mom: taking care of residents and being there for them. One resident even told me that he sees me as a friend, big sister and a mom.

HCCP: So, as a Community Advisor, I hear that you have to be on a committee too. What committee are you on?

Ari: I am on the Cultural Inclusivity Committee. I feel that it is really important to include everyone of every religion, orientation, gender, etc. and I want to make this more relevant at Cal Poly. College is an equal playing field opportunity and I want to educate people on different cultures so we can minimize discrimination. Cultural inclusivity is something that is near and dear to my heart and really hits home for me. I am part Egyptian and Jewish, and I know people that have been persecuted for this, so I am passionate about making a change.

HCCP: What is the best part of your job?

Ari: It would probably be the fact that my residents want to be around me. It makes me feel like I have done my job. I am just happy to be a positive part of my residents’ college experience. I am always there for them, but they do so much for me as well. They are the best part of this job. 

HCCP: Lastly, seeing that you are so involved here at Cal Poly, how do you balance it all?

Ari: It’s hard; I am not going to tell you that I am some organized superwoman. It’s all about prioritizing. If there is a will, there is a way. If it really matters to you, you can do it. Plus, I like to stay busy. But it’s manageable; I just work really hard. The key is to just incorporate everything together.  

Emily has also authored political articles for Restless Magazine and numerous inspirational and empowering pieces for Project Wednesday. When she isn't writing, she can be found flying off to her next adventure, attempting new recipes, listening to one of her infinite playlists on Spotify, or cuddling with her dogs. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @emilycveith.
Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.