This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.
There has been a lot of debate on college campuses as well as online about whether or not male-identified feminists are permissible–or whether men ought to call themselves feminists. (Think of tumblr.com for an infamous battleground of such things.) Some argue that male feminism is an indispensable part of the broader feminist movement; without male feminists, the cause lacks the greater societal support required to truly bring about equality. Others hold that feminism is, at base, a women’s movement, and that allowing men to have a central role in the cause is to allow them the power feminists seek to dissolve! 

Without doubt, much of male feminism has become either a literal parody or something so staggeringly misunderstood that it may as well be a parody. 

This leaves us at an impasse. Certainly, if we want feminism to remain a strong cause capable of initiating widespread social change, we need to get as many people onboard as possible. But if getting them onboard leads to the cringe-inducing sort of results seen above, what can be done? 

First, let’s disabuse readers of some unfortunate associations. Feminism is a women’s empowerment movement necessary because of the oppressive social structures built against women–such structures have been the status quo for millennia. Empowerment is necessary not because we are playing a game of boys vs. girls and now the girls want to “win.” Feminist empowerment is necessary in recognition of the history of oppression that must be overcome if women are to hold an equal position in all areas of society as men. Indeed, all genders should equal in this way – the fact that female and queer status is identified through comparison to men is indicative of the central issue! Thus, a feminist seeks to dissolve the gender pay gap (which exists by the way), end rape culture and sexual violence against women (for more infor on how to get involved, check out Cal Poly SAFER), and generally help women to feel that they are strong, intelligent, and self-sufficient. This is obviously a worthy cause, and if you are not persuaded by it you really ought to reconsider your understanding of the world (as it is almost certainly false). 

That in place, the problem remains: Can men participate? – should they? As I understand the situation, it is absolutely vital that men learn about and support feminism. This is a social problem everyone has a stake in, and men have a responsibility to be educated. That said, there is a real danger in men’s pedantic and chauvinistic appropriations of the cause. The temptation to say, “No, I think this is how we should do feminism,” may occur for many men who become involved. In “correcting” women on what they deem the most important women’s issues are, men commit the very error feminism seeks to resolve. This won’t do. However, men should not be uncomfortable with speaking out in support of feminists (to fail to do so is, of course, a result either of weakness or of bigotry). What, then, is the moderate path here?

I propose that men should be unashamedly allies to feminism. It is women’s role to lead the direction of the various movements within feminism; it is upon them to decide what structural and ideological injustices in society matter most to them and which they are most harmed by. (The same, of course, is true of those involved with queer and PoC movements!). However, once women have identified these issues, men are charged with supporting, empathizing with as best as they can, and empowering those who seek to effect real change. Importantly, feminism is NOT a label to assume in order to curry favor with potential partners. The issue should remain an ethical one! 

To conclude, here is a similar treatment on the issue by an important voice in intersectional feminism, Kat Blaque:

Lorenzo is a Cal Poly SLO undergraduate Philosophy major and social justice advocate. He enjoys strong black tea and hiking on cold days. Though a student of logical conceptual analysis at heart, his interests also include feminism, social and political equality, applied ethics, and modern cultural theory.
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.