Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Archives

Why Quitting Is Actually a Good Thing

By Brittany Graham
October 22, 2014 - 10:34pm

Many of us see quitting as a failure, but is it really quitting or are we just moving on? We’ve grown up with heroes in movies that face it all, never giving up despite how hard things get. Society has given us the expectation that when life gets tough we must fight back and battle on. There’s no denying that we are humans of habit, but when is enough really enough? There are plenty of things that we do in life that we don’t give ourselves enough credit for. We do things for our friends, teachers, family and employers, but what about ourselves?  READ MORE

This Month’s Must-See Movie: "Gone Girl "

By Savanna Goltzer
October 22, 2014 - 1:07pm

First of all, let me start this review by saying that I have a horrible case of major guilt over the fact that I did not read "Gone Girl" before I saw the movie. Normally, I’m happily the one nitpicking the differences between a book and its film adaptation or playfully judging my friends for not having read the book first. Although I am guilty of missing out on the much buzzed about Gillian Flynn novel, I can at least provide a review based purely on my reaction to its cinematic depiction. READ MORE

Drowning in Midterm Tears? BAND's Your Lifesaver

By Hannah Joslin
October 22, 2014 - 12:29pm

To the half-crazed, caffeine-infused collegiette reading this on your midterm study break, First of all, you’re not going to die. It only feels like it. Midterms can be rough and it’s hard to believe we’ve even been in school long enough to be taking them. Welcome to the quarter system, freshmen. But studying and keeping up with your busy schedule is going to be much less stressful once you figure out the secret: staying organized. Projects and assignments don’t loom over your head if you know you’ve got reminders set for study times and due dates! The perfect way to do this, along with staying connected to study groups and any other organizations that need a little help, is incorporating BAND into...

What To Do When Your Friend Says She's Suicidal

By Samantha Pryor
October 21, 2014 - 9:36am

Everyone feels sad, depressed, or angry sometimes—especially under the pressures of school, friends and family. Some people may feel sadness or hopelessness that just won’t go away, and even small problems may seem like a lot to handle for them. There is no easy way to say it; suicide is a very serious and prevalent matter. When a friend of yours communicates suicidal thoughts to you, you may not feel equipped to handle the situation properly, but the truth of the matter is, you are. It is important to remember that you are not alone. Through utilizing campus resources and trusting your intuition, you can handle the situation effectively. READ MORE

11 Signs You Live in San Luis Obispo

By Kayla Steinorth
October 21, 2014 - 9:12am

It doesn’t matter if you’re a die hard Northern Californian or a Southern California beach enthusiast – everyone knows San Luis Obispo is a little slice of heaven, and we’re proud of how special it is. It’s more than taking naps on Dexter Lawn or curing your hangover with a delicious breakfast burrito from Breakfast Buzz – but that’s a lot of it, too. If you live in this little bubble we fondly call SLO, you might recognize some of these quirks. 1. You need three to four different outfits just to get through the day because of the weather. READ MORE

Study Abroad Diaries: A Weekend in Rome

By Sophie Ratkovich
October 20, 2014 - 9:09am

If you’re traveling abroad, amongst all your weekends of European raging, you absolutely must make time to set aside at least one weekend for purely cultural and historical discovery.  Unlike the US, Europe has centuries upon centuries of brilliant and exciting history. So like me, if you are a foodie and love the tales of adventure and romance of ancient civilizations, Rome is the place for you. READ MORE

Dressing for an Interview: A Classic Look

By Savanna Goltzer
October 20, 2014 - 9:07am

As I’m sure we’ve all experienced, being uncomfortable with what you are wearing is one of the worst feelings in the world.  It instantly lowers your self-confidence and makes it hard to focus on anything else. As college women, it is important to have at least one outfit in our closet that can be easily accessed for an interview. Since interviewing for a job or internship is one of the most nerve-wracking things that most of us will ever experience, you shouldn’t let worrying about what to wear add to the stress! It’s all about feeling confident, and dressing the part is half the battle. Even if you are secretly scared out of your mind, putting a great outfit together that is appropriate and comfortable will ease the process....

Collegiette Halloween: Should You Wear That Costume, & Other Thoughts

By Hunter Laningham
October 19, 2014 - 9:59am

Well, folks, it’s that time of year again. Halloween. And we all know what means; I mean, you’ve all seen movies. It’s all fun and games. But does anyone really stop to think about how weird collegiette Halloween is? Let’s take a funny look at the politics of Halloween costumes and then—let’s get weird. First off—costumes. Mean Girls definitely got it right when it made fun of girls for going as unnecessarily sexy versions of animals and professions, but are all girls really doing it for the sake of it, or do they just have no other choice? Take a look at the differences between the different versions of the same costume: READ MORE

Humans of Cal Poly

By Hunter Laningham, Nesrine Faith Majzoub
October 19, 2014 - 9:41am

Photographer Credit: Nesrine Najzoub “Everyone has their individual situations happening in their life and all these things they encounter and have to deal with, so music, for me, is a place to get away from all of that. The biggest thing for me to show my listeners would be for people to enjoy life for what it is and to not get caught up in little, everyday life. In the midst of a storm, enjoy life.” -Jesse Morales READ MORE

Concert in the Plaza--The Monroe

By Aja Frost
October 19, 2014 - 9:05am

Stop by the UU Plaza between classes to give this soul-rock group from Atascadero a listen! READ MORE