Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Archives

Rabbits, the College Girl's Best Friend: 5 Reasons Why You Should Own a Rabbit

By Davis Neary
July 7, 2014 - 9:25am

Puppies, kittens and rabbits, oh my! As a single college student, the best way to end a long, homework-filled, over-socialized day is to cuddle with my four-year old mini Rex rabbit, Tennant. See, the nice thing about having Tennant is that he listens to my rants and watches TV with me without objection as I comment on the show. People with pets live longer, happier lives. So why not add a furry friend to your life, especially a rabbit? There are five reasons why you should own a rabbit: READ MORE

The 23 Things On Our SLO Summer Bucket List

By Kayla Steinorth
June 24, 2014 - 6:42am

Summer is here! That means sun-kissed skin, beach time and maybe a job or school. For those of you living in SLO this summer, you might be wondering, "What am I going to do with my free time???" Check out our SLO summer bucket list for ideas! 1. Take a class at the craft center 2. Hike Bishops and Madonna 3. Do the Tri-Tip Tri-Top challenge 4. Get an acai bowl from Sally Loos (YUM) READ MORE

17 things a Cal Poly first-year thinks

By Hannah Joslin
June 18, 2014 - 3:01pm

1. I haven't said the Pledge of Allegiance in, like, a year. 2. I can't believe I have a 7 a.m. class right now. Is the world even awake? 3. Look, a turkey! Wait ... five turkeys! READ MORE

Summer Music Festivals

By Heather Fissel
June 13, 2014 - 6:26pm

Music festival season is in full swing. It started with Coachella, which had more than 90,000 people attendees each weekend! College students love the festival culture, and it’s gotten a lot more popular in the last couple years. Music is a huge part of college life and festivals of all sizes are always full of college-aged students listening to music performances that feature everything from indie rock to EDM. READ MORE

The Ten Things You Do That Drive Baristas Crazy

By Melissa Fernald
June 13, 2014 - 6:19pm

As a person who has worked on and off in the coffee business for the past four years, I often joke that I will be making coffee for the rest of my life. While working at a coffee shop does have its perks (free coffee, for starters) there are definitely some downsides. Most of these problems arise from dealing with customers.  I have compiled a list of guidelines that every coffee consumer should abide by in order to make you and your barista's days a whole lot brighter. READ MORE

The Clarisonic: Worth the Splurge?

By Savanna Goltzer
June 12, 2014 - 3:40pm

By Savanna Goltzer If you’ve walked through any major retailer, whether it be Sephora, Ulta, Nordstrom or Macy’s, you’ve probably noticed the Clarisonic. You might have even been intrigued by it, but then looked at the pricetag and thought “No way!” The idea of spending over $100 on a face cleansing brush does seem pretty absurd, and was definitely how I felt when I first learned about the skin care cleansing system. READ MORE

How to Jump-Start Your Career This Summer

By Anuja Argade
June 12, 2014 - 2:00pm

Whether your summer plans consist of exciting road trips with your girls or snuggling in bed watching Shark Tank with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s Coffee Heath Bar Crunch wrapped tightly in your arms, I have some advice for you. No matter where you are or what you’re doing, you can get a head start on your career by polishing up your professional side. Here are some effortless ways to build a solid portfolio that you can whip out whenever you need! READ MORE

Summer Recipe: Infused Lemonade

By Frances Griffey
June 11, 2014 - 11:19am

Summer is the time for lounging by the pool, soaking up the sun and drinking chilled cocktails. Nothing’s better on a hot summer’s day than an ice-cold glass of lemonade, but don’t settle for the standard old-fashioned lemonade you’ve had since childhood (although that is still quite delicious). Shake up your classic recipe this summer by adding flavored simple syrups. READ MORE

The Unspoken Rules of Instagram

By Arinee Rahman
June 11, 2014 - 9:45am

Disclaimer: There is no Instagram police out there in the world (yet), so feel free to rebel and break any of these rules as you wish. You do you.  In the words of the lovely and beautifully written song "#SELFIE" by The Chainsmokers, “Can you guys help me pick a filter? I don’t know if I should go with XX Pro or Valencia. I wanna look tan.” As basic as that sounds, lets just take a moment right now to admit the fact that we all do this. READ MORE

#Yesallwomen

By Shelley Westerson
June 10, 2014 - 2:45pm

By Shelley Westerson You may have seen the #yesallwomen trending on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter recently and have wondered to yourself, what's this all about? Some would call it a feminist movement for women, but that is a much too simple explanation of what the hashtag stands for. READ MORE