Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Archives

DANGER: Yik Yak

By Kayla Steinorth
October 31, 2014 - 6:41pm

We’ve all been there: you’re standing in line for Starbucks with just 15 minutes until class and the line is twenty people long. Inevitably, you're bored and you pull out your phone and scroll along until… Yik Yak--that time-consuming, guilty pleasure app. It's like Twitter, but crazier because it comes with the promise that you can yak whatever you want (anonymously) without consequence. Not possibly harmful at all, right?! READ MORE

Meet a Safer Student Assistant: Campus Celebrity Riley Hasche

By Nicole Moore
October 31, 2014 - 5:45pm

Name: Riley Hasche Hometown: San Diego, California Major: Wine and Viticulture Senior Riley Hasche is a student assistant at Cal Poly’s Safer. Safer is our campus’s main resource and counseling center for the prevention of sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence and stalking. Riley is also currently heading Safer’s six week advocatory training offered to students each quarter. During each weekly session, Riley provides resources and information to help volunteers further their understanding of sexual violence in order to be more involved with the movement against sexual assault and dating violence. READ MORE

Match Made in Heaven: A Tinder Tale

By Davis Neary
October 30, 2014 - 12:32pm

Launched in May of 2011, Tinder made matchmaking more universal than ever. By connecting each user with a Facebook account, Tinder creates profiles with ages, pictures, and short bios for other users to view. Once somebody views another person’s profile, the user will have the choice to swipe right (interested) or left (not interested). Although the app has been quite successful, Tinder has often been labeled as a “hookup” app, due to its superficial and racy content. Yet, there has been the occasional glimmer of hope. Here are three true stories of real-life Tinderellas and Prince Tinders who got more than a single night of happily ever after. 1. Right Swiped READ MORE

5 Ways to Rock Your Next Interview

By Avrah Baum
October 29, 2014 - 1:23pm

1. Do your homework. Take a few minutes before the interview to research what the company does. It sounds like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised at the amount of people that go into interviews having no idea of what they’re even interviewing for. Having a solid background about the company will prepare you to answer possible questions they may ask you, and knowing that you prepared ahead of time will put your nerves at ease! 2. Dress to impress. READ MORE

Adventures of an Ag Student

By Davis Neary
October 29, 2014 - 12:50pm

In kindergarten, your fun loving teacher would have you sit, crisscrossed applesauce, on the colorful rug with crisp yellow letters in alphabetical order. He or she would ask each of you what you wanted to be when you grew up. Naturally, princesses, firefighters, presidents and policemen are the typical answers to this age-old question. But why isn’t being an agriculture teacher or dairy nutritionist a common response? It really comes down to exposure to agriculture. Because of delayed exposure to the awe-inspiring world of agriculture, I was one of the first agriculturists in my family. READ MORE

5 Tips for Rocking Your Next Interview

By Avrah Baum
October 29, 2014 - 9:47am

The job description sounds perfect—or you just really need a job. Either way, the only thing that stands between you and that regular paycheck is the job interview. While it's totally normal to be stressed about the prospect of convincing total strangers that they (errr, the company)  needs you in their life, we've got five tips that will definitely get you the job. 1. Do Your Homework READ MORE

I'm a Skinny B*tch & Here's What I Think Of 'All About That Bass'

By Madison Rightmire
October 28, 2014 - 10:30pm

Skinny bitch. Honestly, I would not even be writing this were it not for the phrase “skinny bitches” in Meghan Trainor’s hit song “All About That Bass.” The song is catchy, upbeat, fun—it gets stuck in my head and makes me want to dance! And yet, two words stuck out at me and made me question the whole thing. It’s a strange notion to me that with recent attitudes towards the word “bitch”—it seems to have been officially classified as an offensive, demeaning, sexist word—that to pair it with a word that judges women based on their appearance is still OK. It made me look up the lyrics to read more thoroughly; it made me look up the music video to watch with a wary eye; it made me...

The Look Your Mother Hates: How to Rock the Dark Lip

By Nicole Moore
October 28, 2014 - 12:46pm

Many fashion magazines with tell you fall is an opportune time to rock dark lipstick. This is much to my mother’s chagrin, however, as she visibly gets upset each time she sees me wearing burgundy, ox-blood or purple lipstick. READ MORE

Friend Zone or Danger Zone? A Collegiette's Response to the Washington Shootings

By Brooke Bryski
October 27, 2014 - 4:23pm

On April 25, 2014, a young man stabbed a girl to death at a Connecticut high school. The reason? She had refused to go to prom with him. On May 23, 2014, a young man went on a shooting spree in Isla Vista, California. He killed six people and injured thirteen as a way of seeking revenge upon women who did not want to date him. On October 24, 2014, a young man brought a gun to his high school in Washington state and used it to shoot six students, killing two of them. Why? A young girl decided that she did not want to date him. READ MORE

5 Ways to Love Yourself

By Morgan Kavanagh
October 27, 2014 - 1:54pm

Fall is finally showing its face in San Luis Obispo, but it’s also midterm week. We have to make that hard decision to go to either the pumpkin patch or the library. With all of your thoughts revolving around midterms, it can be easy to get caught up and overwhelmed. So take a break and look at these five ways to love yourself so you can embrace the fall and start feeling happier. 1.    Let go of the things you can’t change and focus on those you can. READ MORE