Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Archives

Campus Celebrity: Tasneem Elghandour

By Anuja Argade
October 24, 2014 - 12:37pm

Bright eyed and fully caffeinated, this week’s campus celebrity is always ready to check out that last-minute course reserve you need in order to cram before that 2:10 midterm. Yes ma’am, she's that girl. You can count on her to answer all of your burning library questions, no matter how juicy. Or if you want to feel warm and fuzzy inside, she can make it happen. Name: Tasneem Elghandour Major and year: Philosophy (minor in Political Science), 4th year What does your name mean? READ MORE

Players Gonna Play: 5 Signs He's Not Serious

By Cal Poly Contributor
October 24, 2014 - 9:49am

If you’re like me, you’d honestly rather spend your time trying to work out Calc 4 homework than try to understand how the male species thinks. The biggest question: is he into me or not? Well here are 5 simple signs that he just ain’t feeling you: READ MORE

The 5 Personalities in an 8 a.m. Class

By Arinee Rahman
October 24, 2014 - 9:38am

It’s the most dreaded noise you can imagine: your alarm. It rings through your ears as you slowly open your eyes and wake up. Another morning, another 8 a.m. class. When you walk into class, there’s a variety of people. Some morning people, some not-so-morning-people, and everyone else in between. Which one are you? 1. Jitter Bug: This is the person that is just way too peppy for an 8 a.m. class. He or she is usually insanely hyper, bouncing off the walls and blabbering away. This person may have had 12 hours of sleep, or two--you’ll really never know. What you do know is that they need to take it down a notch, or suffer the consequences of your glare. This is not an Avicii concert. READ MORE
...

3 Reasons Why College is Completely Different than High School

By Brooke Bryski
October 23, 2014 - 11:25am

1. “Popularity” is a thing of the past. Nearly everybody saw it in high school. A select group of students were viewed as royalty; they were the “popular kids.” Everybody knew who they were and everybody wanted to be them. Sound familiar?  READ MORE

13 Tips for the Best Halloween Party Ever

By Sam Snow
October 23, 2014 - 9:19am

When your roommate is an autumn enthusiast who plans for Halloween months in advance, it’s not difficult to get into the spirit of the season. But for all of us who don’t live in Halloween Town, here are some tips for throwing a smashing party this October 31st. 1. Spooky Playlist – Everything from Monster Mash to Dead Man’s Party. Don’t forget Spooky Scary Skeletons! READ MORE

Why Quitting Is Actually a Good Thing

By Brittany Graham
October 22, 2014 - 10:34pm

Many of us see quitting as a failure, but is it really quitting or are we just moving on? We’ve grown up with heroes in movies that face it all, never giving up despite how hard things get. Society has given us the expectation that when life gets tough we must fight back and battle on. There’s no denying that we are humans of habit, but when is enough really enough? There are plenty of things that we do in life that we don’t give ourselves enough credit for. We do things for our friends, teachers, family and employers, but what about ourselves?  READ MORE

This Month’s Must-See Movie: "Gone Girl "

By Savanna Goltzer
October 22, 2014 - 1:07pm

First of all, let me start this review by saying that I have a horrible case of major guilt over the fact that I did not read "Gone Girl" before I saw the movie. Normally, I’m happily the one nitpicking the differences between a book and its film adaptation or playfully judging my friends for not having read the book first. Although I am guilty of missing out on the much buzzed about Gillian Flynn novel, I can at least provide a review based purely on my reaction to its cinematic depiction. READ MORE

Drowning in Midterm Tears? BAND's Your Lifesaver

By Hannah Joslin
October 22, 2014 - 12:29pm

To the half-crazed, caffeine-infused collegiette reading this on your midterm study break, First of all, you’re not going to die. It only feels like it. Midterms can be rough and it’s hard to believe we’ve even been in school long enough to be taking them. Welcome to the quarter system, freshmen. But studying and keeping up with your busy schedule is going to be much less stressful once you figure out the secret: staying organized. Projects and assignments don’t loom over your head if you know you’ve got reminders set for study times and due dates! The perfect way to do this, along with staying connected to study groups and any other organizations that need a little help, is incorporating BAND into...

What To Do When Your Friend Says She's Suicidal

By Samantha Pryor
October 21, 2014 - 9:36am

Everyone feels sad, depressed, or angry sometimes—especially under the pressures of school, friends and family. Some people may feel sadness or hopelessness that just won’t go away, and even small problems may seem like a lot to handle for them. There is no easy way to say it; suicide is a very serious and prevalent matter. When a friend of yours communicates suicidal thoughts to you, you may not feel equipped to handle the situation properly, but the truth of the matter is, you are. It is important to remember that you are not alone. Through utilizing campus resources and trusting your intuition, you can handle the situation effectively. READ MORE

11 Signs You Live in San Luis Obispo

By Kayla Steinorth
October 21, 2014 - 9:12am

It doesn’t matter if you’re a die hard Northern Californian or a Southern California beach enthusiast – everyone knows San Luis Obispo is a little slice of heaven, and we’re proud of how special it is. It’s more than taking naps on Dexter Lawn or curing your hangover with a delicious breakfast burrito from Breakfast Buzz – but that’s a lot of it, too. If you live in this little bubble we fondly call SLO, you might recognize some of these quirks. 1. You need three to four different outfits just to get through the day because of the weather. READ MORE