Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Archives

James Franco is Gross

By Nicole Moore
April 16, 2014 - 9:00am

A week ago, leaked images from James Franco’s Instagram account revealed he attempted to have sexual relations with a 17-year-old. The young woman in question has been chastised for releasing said images and Franco has painted himself as a victim of social media. Certain news outlets have pointed out the age of consent in New York (where both Franco and the young woman were residing at the time) is 17, so even if they were to have sex, everything would be perfectly legal. However, this would be ignoring the fact Franco is a 35-year-old man looking to have sex with a teenager....

The Dos and Don'ts of Social Media

By Shelley Westerson
April 16, 2014 - 9:00am

Nowadays our lives seem to be run by social media. Twitter, Facebook and Instagram are a daily addiction for most college students, as we constantly upload content and stalk people we like or are curious about. Social media has made personal privacy a thing of the past and whether we like it or not, our personal lives have now become public knowledge. Does this freak you out? No worries; here are the do’s and don’ts of social media to keep yourself in check. DO: Post a cute profile pic of yourself. For example, use that awesome shot of you doing a back flip off a dock or the randomly good picture a friend took of you. Selfies are 100 percent acceptable in the profile picture realm, and should be posted without any shame!...

How To Land Your Summer Internship

By Samantha Pryor
April 15, 2014 - 2:13pm

It’s that time of year again — your parents' constant nagging sets in and you realize that you have to actually go out and get that summer job or internship. We’ve all been through it, and now that we are in college, it’s impossible to escape. As if searching and applying for jobs wasn't enough work already, preparing for an interview is the icing on top of the cake. Job interview anxiety is real and the toll it takes is quite draining. We feel nervous, scared and maybe even helpless at times. Dressing up to impress the employer that was once in our shoes can be a daunting task, but here are some tips to overcome your nervousness and land your job like a pro. READ MORE

San Luis Obispo is filled with a myriad of Thai restaurants. Which one is your favorite?

By Suha Saya

10 Things To Do Before The School Year Ends

By Julia Tettamanzi
April 15, 2014 - 2:05pm

If you ask a graduating senior for words of wisdom, they'll probably tell you that college flew by, so you should savor every moment. But it's easy to get caught up in routine and not explore the many pleasures of college. The best way to avoid this is to make a bucket list. Lucky for you, we can help. Here are 10 things to do before the school year ends: 1. Continue working on that beach body As we all know, bikini season is soon to arrive. Whether you’ve been hitting the gym every day or want to, now is the time to do so. Make a healthy change, but still feel comfortable in your own body — whatever size you love.  READ MORE

The Benefits of Being Outdoors

By Morgan Geiger
April 14, 2014 - 9:00am

Luckily for us, San Luis Obispo offers beautiful landscapes with a variety of hiking trails and other outdoor activities. Not only is the natural beauty aesthetically pleasing, but there are also some surprising health benefits. Vitamin D READ MORE

The Term All Collegiettes Should Immediately Stop Saying

By Aja Frost
April 14, 2014 - 9:00am

“Oh my god, look over to the left,” my friend whispered. I turned my head and saw a girl, scantily clad in what was obviously last night’s sequined dress and spindly heels, climbing out of a guy’s truck. It was 10:30 in the morning. We watched her disappear into her dorm room. And then my friend said the words I’d been hoping I wouldn’t hear, the ones that had made me unobtrusively cross my fingers in an attempt to ward them off. “She’s doing the walk of shame!” The. Walk. Of. Shame. READ MORE

Creative Recipes for Spring Produce

By Frances Griffey
April 13, 2014 - 9:00am

You can get almost any produce at the grocery store, but how can you tell what’s actually fresh and local from what’s been imported from a country halfway across the world? Luckily, we're fortunate enough to live in an area that has an amazingly diverse farmers' market. This week, wander through the booths at Farmers' to scope out what’s available right now. Whether you make it to a fresh market or just the grocery store down the street, be sure to explore the fruits and veggies prime for the taking this season. Instead of picking up the usual basket of strawberries or bag of apples, branch out and try some of these unconventional must-haves for spring. 1. Artichokes READ MORE

A College Girl's Guide to At-Home Beauty

By Brittany Graham
April 13, 2014 - 9:00am

Spring is here — once again, us girls have to deal with another season change, meaning more allergies, humidity and havoc on your skin. With beautiful weather, working out and long days of little sleep, we're going to need some at-home beauty remedies to save our lives! For a red-free face If you can't seem to get the red tones out of your face, look no further. You will need: egg yolk and lemon juice READ MORE

John Day

By Nikki Kong
April 12, 2014 - 6:59pm

Name: John Day Year: Freshman Major: Math Hometown: Gilroy, Calif. Relationship status: Single Her Campus: Tell us about yourself! Do you have any nicknames?
John Day: Some people call me “John Day.” It has a nice ring to it, but I usually just prefer “John.” READ MORE