Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Archives

Morro Bay Kite Festival

By Lindsey Day
April 23, 2014 - 2:52am

Looking for some free weekend fun? Look no further, as the Morro Bay Kite Festival is this Saturday, April 26th, and Sunday, April 27th. From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, you can experience the 8th annual “painting of the sky” on Morro Bay Beach, which is just north of Morro Rock. READ MORE

8 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day

By Julia Mousavi
April 23, 2014 - 1:31am

Happy Earth Day! April 22 is Earth Day — an important day that should be celebrated! But how? Here are some ways to celebrate the Earth today (or maybe any day): 1. Cook a vegan or vegetarian meal READ MORE

Treats for the Easter Bunny: Easter Desserts

By Lindsey Day
April 20, 2014 - 12:20pm

Easter Sunday is the perfect time to whip out your baking utensils and bake a delectable dessert to share with your loved ones. The whimsical nature of this pagan celebration allows room for creativity with dessert flavor and design. Whether you are visiting family at home or celebrating Easter with friends, these tasty Easter treats will impress those at your gathering. There are many traditional favorites, as well as clever creations you can whip up this Easter Sunday to surely satisfy your sweet tooth. Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs READ MORE

Find Your Summer Internship with the 'Tinder for Jobs'

By Kayla Missman
April 20, 2014 - 9:00am

Yes, you read that right. Swiping left and right isn’t just for dating anymore — it’s also for jobs and internships. The app Dapsity works the same way as Tinder; you swipe right to save jobs and left to delete ones you don’t want. And you could swipe for days (literally), as there are more than 1 million jobs in more than 50 countries. Just how does it work? Connect with LinkedIn and Facebook, because it really is about who you know. You can search for relevant jobs, and then start swiping! READ MORE

What will you be celebrating this Easter?

By Kaylee Bingham
April 20, 2014 - 9:00am

This year, the very religious holiday of Easter falls on the notorious 4/20. This is the long-celebrated holiday for stoners, though I’m not sure why. It will be interesting to see how our fellow collegiettes choose to spend their day. Many will return home for a big Easter brunch with their family. They’ll partake in all the traditional Easter traditions like the Easter egg hunt, Easter baskets, a huge brunch after church maybe. It won’t be any different than in the years before. READ MORE

Self-Defense Training

By Kayla Missman
April 19, 2014 - 10:38pm

Learn how to defend yourself in one of Safer's two self-defense classes this month. It's totally free, and it's a great opportunity to learn valuable skills. We know it can be scary walking around campus at night — and even scarier walking around San Luis Obispo. Especially with recent reports of attempted sexual assaults, this is so important! Teach yourself these invaluable moves and you'll feel so confident. READ MORE

Tessa Goodwin

By Austin McLaggan
April 19, 2014 - 2:09pm

Name: Tessa Goodwin
Major: Biology (Marine)
Year: Senior
Hometown: Auburn, Wash.
Relationship status: Single
Celebrity crush: John Krasinski
Spirit Animal: Bottlenose Dolphin
Fun fact: I’m an avid rollerblader READ MORE

Ed and Joe Izaguirre

By Austin McLaggan
April 19, 2014 - 1:57pm

Name:Ed Izaguirre
Major: Physics
Year: Sophomore
Hometown: South Central Los Angeles HC: What do people say is your best quality?
Ed Izaguirre: If I had to guess, people probably think that my ambition is my best quality. Sometimes it might seem like I’m joking when I set really high goals or say I’m going to do crazy new things, but I’m actually serious. HC: What are you involved with on campus?
EI: I’m involved with the Cal Poly Distance Club and Gamma Zeta Alpha. Oh, and shout out to Ciao, too! READ MORE

99dresses: Guilt-Free Online Shopping

By Kayla Missman
April 19, 2014 - 9:00am

Shopaholics unite — there’s a new store, and it’s right in the palm of your hand. With 99dresses, an app that recently hit the iOS app store, you can completely revamp your closet for a small fraction of the price (um, did we just die and go to heaven?). Here’s how it works: after making an account on 99dresses, you post clothes that you no longer want. Then, you can purchase other users’ items, paying just a small fee and shipping. You can have a brand new closet in a matter of weeks! READ MORE

A Tinderella Story: Three Days of Online Dating

By Aja Frost
April 18, 2014 - 9:00am

Have you heard the news? Modern dating is dead. In the past three days, I’ve seen four different articles on my Facebook feed about the college hook-up culture, all bemoaning its absence of intimacy, honesty and commitment. Apparently, one of the biggest culprits to blame for this transformation is social media. READ MORE