Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Archives

What To Do When Your Friend Says She's Suicidal

By Samantha Pryor
October 21, 2014 - 9:36am

Everyone feels sad, depressed, or angry sometimes—especially under the pressures of school, friends and family. Some people may feel sadness or hopelessness that just won’t go away, and even small problems may seem like a lot to handle for them. There is no easy way to say it; suicide is a very serious and prevalent matter. When a friend of yours communicates suicidal thoughts to you, you may not feel equipped to handle the situation properly, but the truth of the matter is, you are. It is important to remember that you are not alone. Through utilizing campus resources and trusting your intuition, you can handle the situation effectively. READ MORE

11 Signs You Live in San Luis Obispo

By Kayla Steinorth
October 21, 2014 - 9:12am

It doesn’t matter if you’re a die hard Northern Californian or a Southern California beach enthusiast – everyone knows San Luis Obispo is a little slice of heaven, and we’re proud of how special it is. It’s more than taking naps on Dexter Lawn or curing your hangover with a delicious breakfast burrito from Breakfast Buzz – but that’s a lot of it, too. If you live in this little bubble we fondly call SLO, you might recognize some of these quirks. 1. You need three to four different outfits just to get through the day because of the weather. READ MORE

Study Abroad Diaries: A Weekend in Rome

By Sophie Ratkovich
October 20, 2014 - 9:09am

If you’re traveling abroad, amongst all your weekends of European raging, you absolutely must make time to set aside at least one weekend for purely cultural and historical discovery.  Unlike the US, Europe has centuries upon centuries of brilliant and exciting history. So like me, if you are a foodie and love the tales of adventure and romance of ancient civilizations, Rome is the place for you. READ MORE

Dressing for an Interview: A Classic Look

By Savanna Goltzer
October 20, 2014 - 9:07am

As I’m sure we’ve all experienced, being uncomfortable with what you are wearing is one of the worst feelings in the world.  It instantly lowers your self-confidence and makes it hard to focus on anything else. As college women, it is important to have at least one outfit in our closet that can be easily accessed for an interview. Since interviewing for a job or internship is one of the most nerve-wracking things that most of us will ever experience, you shouldn’t let worrying about what to wear add to the stress! It’s all about feeling confident, and dressing the part is half the battle. Even if you are secretly scared out of your mind, putting a great outfit together that is appropriate and comfortable will ease the process....

Collegiette Halloween: Should You Wear That Costume, & Other Thoughts

By Hunter Laningham
October 19, 2014 - 9:59am

Well, folks, it’s that time of year again. Halloween. And we all know what means; I mean, you’ve all seen movies. It’s all fun and games. But does anyone really stop to think about how weird collegiette Halloween is? Let’s take a funny look at the politics of Halloween costumes and then—let’s get weird. First off—costumes. Mean Girls definitely got it right when it made fun of girls for going as unnecessarily sexy versions of animals and professions, but are all girls really doing it for the sake of it, or do they just have no other choice? Take a look at the differences between the different versions of the same costume: READ MORE

Humans of Cal Poly

By Hunter Laningham, Nesrine Faith Majzoub
October 19, 2014 - 9:41am

Photographer Credit: Nesrine Najzoub “Everyone has their individual situations happening in their life and all these things they encounter and have to deal with, so music, for me, is a place to get away from all of that. The biggest thing for me to show my listeners would be for people to enjoy life for what it is and to not get caught up in little, everyday life. In the midst of a storm, enjoy life.” -Jesse Morales READ MORE

Concert in the Plaza--The Monroe

By Aja Frost
October 19, 2014 - 9:05am

Stop by the UU Plaza between classes to give this soul-rock group from Atascadero a listen! READ MORE

You've been a dancer since WHEN!? Meet Campus Celeb Natalie Higgins

By Hannah Joslin
October 18, 2014 - 11:00pm

Meet Natalie Higgins, a quirky second-year psychology major and dance minor from Whittier, CA who’s been dancing since the age of three. Her Campus: What is your favorite thing about Cal Poly/ SLO? You mean despite its amazing weather? My favorite thing here would have to be the possibilities. They're endless! I can go for an amazing hike practically anywhere, bike downtown afterward, and then finish up with a sunset walk on the beach! Also, Cal Poly has so much to offer in the way of volunteering, adventures and craft projects (I made s surfboard last year!) READ MORE

6 Truths About Cheating

By Nikki Kong
October 18, 2014 - 12:00pm

So, you’ve been cheated on. Maybe you were in a committed, half-decade long relationship with your best friend *cough* me, or maybe you were in a committed, half-hour long relationship with that cute guy from physics class. Whatever the case, it happened, and now you’re hurt. As a writer, I probably can’t say anything that will make you feel better about the situation. BUT, as a sassy, self-proclaimed witty girl who’s also been cheated on, maybe I can do a little better. Here are the six most valuable things I’ve learned from my experiences:   There are different kinds of cheating. READ MORE

Jesse "Danger" Gibson, President of the Real Food Collaborative

By Aja Frost
October 17, 2014 - 9:37am

You'll be seeing our latest cutie a lot around campus—he's the president of the Real Food Collaborative, a club that's bringing delicious, healthy and fast meals to Cal Poly's campus! (No Freshman 15 here.) Read on to find out Jesse's favorite place on campus, his relationship status, and his dream date...     Year: 3rd year Major: Environmental Management & Protection Middle name: Erik Her Campus: What your middle name would be if you'd picked it? READ MORE