Appreciating Cal Poly’s “Invisibles”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

There’s more to this campus than the undergraduates and their midterms. There’s a whole network of faculty that helps the university run like a well-oiled machine and the truth is, they don’t get enough credit for it. I would like to change that.

This article is one of many dedicated to “The Invisibles:” a group of individuals who work behind the scenes to help run our campus so that we can remain sane another week.

My first feature is on Dede Sanfilippo, the assistant supervisor at the University Union Starbucks. I have had the pleasure of working for her for a couple of months now, and have gotten to know her well. She deserves some extra encouragement for all the hard work that she does for me as well as the rest of the Starbucks family! 

What is your official title here at Cal Poly?

I’m the assistant supervisor at the UU Starbucks.

What do you do here?

I would be on more operational stuff, things like keeping the store running smoothly. I’d also like to think that I help with the staff morale as well.

What brought you to Cal Poly in the first place?

It’s been such a long, winding road and some good luck! I was involved with non-profit organizations for 25 years and got burned out after that. I worked at Jaffa Café in Arroyo Grande and absolutely loved it. I am a Cal Poly graduate, so it has always been a dream to come back and work here. I had applied several times with no luck. After working at Jaffa, I thought I would reapply to Cal Poly and work in Starbucks to both work at the university and in a café!

What has been the reason that you continue to work here?

I think it’d be you guys. The challenges always keep my brain working and there is a lot of room for growth. The atmosphere is just…it’s good, you know? Even with everything else going on, it’s good.

What is your favorite part of your job?

The employees, hands down. Just because they’re all so awesome. I can’t say enough how incredible the drive and motivation is here. It’s such a great ‘take control’ attitude.

What is something you would change about Cal Poly?

They make money off of employees who drive to work, and I think that needs to change. We’re here working for them and I think we should get passes for at least the hours of our shift. Also, the wages of the students. They should be paid more. They balance so much and deserve a little more than what they get.

What gets you through the day?

It’s either coffee or you guys! Your guys’ energy. I come in tired, but I pick up so quickly on your energy.

What’s something you would like to change about the college kid generation?

You guys need to learn to take care of yourselves. Life is for living, so balance work, fun and school. If something is treating you right, don’t let it go. Try to fit it all in, because if you cut something important, you’ll regret it later when you’re older. And rest. Rest is important.

What do you wish you knew at our age that you know now?

To not be so hard on myself. When I had my daughter, I realized that I needed to stop being so critical about what I did and just do it, mistakes and all. I also wish I would have known that 55 isn’t old.

How can the kids at Cal Poly make you feel more appreciated?

I feel very fortunate to say that I feel appreciated here. You all are very supportive and I feel supported just when people are responsible and show up to work on time. I guess if I ask for extra help, please help out. What you’re doing right now makes me feel appreciated!

Any last words or nuggets of wisdom?

Be happy, life is what you make it. If you’re not happy, stop complaining, stop whining and change it.

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8