Accepted to Cal Poly? Here Are Just 8 Things To Look Forward To!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Congratulations on your acceptance to the best University in the world, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo! You may already know that Cal Poly is no usual CSU, by it’s famous “learn by doing” philosophy and selective acceptance rate, but there are other awesome aspects of our school that set us apart. Here are eight of the best things to look forward to if you commit to our amazing school!

1. Week of Welcome (WOW)

Get ready for one of the best weeks of your life! WOW is the largest volunteer-based orientation program in the nation, and one of the best ways to get to know Cal Poly. During the week, you’ll bond with awesome people, go on spontaneous excursions with your WOW leaders, attend concerts, play games, and of course experience “WOW-A-RAMA”, an event like no other. Basically, being a WOWie is like being a kid at the best summer camp ever! WOW is a must for any incoming student.

2. Getting Fit

What’s this “Freshman 15” thing? At Cal Poly, it’s easy to stay healthy. If you had trouble finding the inspiration to exercise back home, it will definitely get easier here. We have a beautiful Recreation Center with amazing facilities like an indoor track, a giant lap pool and a rock-climbing wall. There are always awesome fitness classes going on here too, in everything from “Butts and Guts” to Yoga. If you’re not a gym kind of person, take a hike with your friends up to Architecture Graveyard or the “P”. If you’re feeling more adventurous, there’s always Bishop’s Peak. Even if you can’t find much time to work out on, Cal Poly is pretty hilly, so you’ll get killer calves just from walking to class!

3. We’ve Ditched our “Cool Cards”

At Cal Poly, we know that the best way to have fun is to forget about what other people think of you; just let go and be yourself. Luckily, cliques and popularity status are a thing of the past and who you were in high school means absolutely nothing when you get to college! You’ll find that once you get to Cal Poly, you’ll become friends with people you never expected to become friends with, and you’ll grow as a result. Unexpected encounters with random people often become lifetime friendships. Especially in the beginning of the school year, you’ll find that everyone wants to make new friends and meet you, so be prepared to mess up a bunch of names!

4. The Perfect Weather

We’re located on the coast in central California, so that means calm weather all year long. It’s not too hot in the summers, and you can usually get away with wearing a sweater in the winters. We’re the kind of people who wear flip-flops in December! To make it even better, we have gorgeous sunsets almost every night, and amazing sunrises every morning.

5. Dorm Life

While communal bathrooms don’t sound too luxurious, living in a dorm is an once-in-a-lifetime experience that every student should have. If you didn’t have much of a social life back at home, you’ll get one just by living in the dorms. There are always fun events going on in residence halls, and people are always hanging out in the common rooms. Sharing a room with one (or two) other people seems intimidating to some, but there’s nothing to worry about. Roommates can make some of the best friends, and there are always opportunities for alone time if you need it. Living in a dorm is a bit of an adjustment from living at home, but it’s an amazing experience that will allow you to grow and form lifelong friendships.

6. The Beautiful City of SLO and Beyond

Although campus life is fun, it is always a treat to explore the surrounding area. Downtown San Luis Obispo is the cutest place to shop and hang out with friends, and the trees are lit up with Christmas lights all year long! There’s a giant farmer’s market every Thursday and we even have our own “bubblegum alley”. If you feel like going to the beach, you can always visit Avila or Pismo, or f you drive over to Morro Bay, you can check out some adorable elephant seals. One of the best parts about living in this area is the friendliness of the locals; in SLO, you can strike up a conversation with anyone and everyone!

7. The Quarter System

Cal Poly differs from the rest of CSU campuses in that it revolves around a quarter system. This means that you get brand new classes three times a year. Although classes go by a little fast, you will feel accomplished completing things at a quicker pace. If you get tired of a boring course, just remember that you’ll be done with it in a matter of weeks. Being on a quarter system also means that you get to meet brand new friends three times a year, which is always a plus!

8. Every Day is a New Adventure

When you get to college, you’ll discover that you never know what to expect out of any day. If you had the most mundane life back home, all of that will change. In college, your days aren’t structured around a 6-hour school day… instead, you’ll form your own schedule. This new freedom is great, as long as you make sure that you put aside enough time for studying. As a Cal Poly student, you’ll quickly find that anything can happen, and every day is a brand new adventure! 

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8