The 9 Stages of Starting a Crafty Hobby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Starting a new hobby can be so much fun. All of a sudden you have something to fill your time with other than Netflix (whoa!). Whether you are an experienced craftmaster or you’ve never picked up a glue gun in your life, these are the nine stages everyone goes through when starting a crafty hobby.

1. You realize that you need something to do other than watch Netflix.

People are always asking what you do for fun, but all you can think of is binge watching TV shows…

2. You pick your hobby

You’re thinking of all the awesome things you’re going to make. You’re pumped!

3. You go to the craft store and spend wayyyy too much money.

Well, you’re going to be making things you can use so actually it’s an investment, right?

4. You go on Pinterest, obviously.

That beautiful, chaotic tackboard is the holy grail of craft ideas.

5. You start crafting!

You’re actually making something and being productive, so you don’t even have to feel guilty about not doing other work. Bonus!

6. It begins to take over your life.

Your friends are worried about you. All you can talk about is crafting. Who knows how many paint fumes you’ve been inhaling since you live in a tiny apartment.

7. You decide to take a little break and get other things done.

Your dog is getting fat because you never take her for walks anymore. You should probably keep an eye on your life for a bit.

8. You get another craft idea.

Well, THAT looks cool!

9. Repeat.

And around, and around, and around, you go, where you’ll sto- just kidding, it never ends!

Stephanie is a senior at Cal Poly State University who dreams of going to law school (soon!). She is majoring in English, minoring in Linguistics, and also earning the TESL certificate. When she isn't writing, she can be found browsing Pinterest, hanging out with friends, and watching Netflix. Her special skills include level 3 procrastination and baking.