9 Signs You Just Returned From Studying Abroad in Europe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

You went abroad for a quarter and it was the most amazing time of your life. You experienced so many new places, you made lifelong friendships, and now you’re finally the world traveler you always wanted to be. But now you’re back, and while it’s great, there are a few things that make you realize how much has changed.

1. You’re used to walking everywhere.

Everything in Europe is so close together that you feel weird driving around the corner. Why drive when it’s only a 30-minute walk?

2. You feel rushed when you’re out to eat.

Customer service is very laidback in Europe, and it may take 3 hours for a simple meal out to be finished. Now, the waiter comes over every four minutes asking if you need anything and you feel super off-balance.

3. You feel like you have to look put together all the time.

Every city in Europe is like a daily fashion show. You wouldn’t dare go to class in sweats and a sweatshirt. Now you could, and sometimes you might, but it still feels wrong.

4. You find yourself bored on weekends without crazy trips to a new country.

You’re so used to booking a last minute trip to Spain or Italy that it feels weird to stay on campus on the weekend. Adventure is out there and you need to find it!

5. You have memorabilia that no one else understands.

A sticker from your favorite coffee shop, a saying popular in the country you were in, or a t-shirt by a local band. Whatever it is, you have something that no one understands.

6. Coach in the U.S. feels luxurious after all your Ryanair horror stories.

If you went abroad, you probably took at least one flight with Ryanair. Now, anything is better: a 12-hour Greyhound ride, cramped in the backseat of your friend’s mini, or anything in between.

7. You have a bunch of random currencies floating around your wallet.

Pounds, Euros, Kronos – your wallet is a conglomeration of every currency you encountered. And it’s even more awkward when you try and pay for your Starbucks with a Pound coin instead of a quarter. 

8. You don’t know how to answer the question “What was your favorite part?” because everything was amazing.

How can your friends expect you to narrow your once in a lifetime experience into one sentence? Every day, city, and country you experienced deserves an entire novel.

9. While you’re happy to be home, you’d do anything to go back abroad.

Can we please go back to Europe?