7 Things Only a Feminist Understands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

1. “Feminism just sounds like a lot of complaining.”

We’ll stop complaining when we don’t have to use our car keys as weapons in a dark parking garage and get equal pay in the workplace. ‘Nuff said.

2. “Are you really going to wear that out?/Don’t you think that outfit is a little scandy?”

Beep beep, you’ve cracked the code to crazy-town. YES, we will wear this. We look damn good in it. We might even walk around naked if we want to. This has to be one of the worst possible compilations of words that someone could use while engaging in conversation with anyone, let alone a feminist.

3. “So, you hate men?”

A proper response could be something along the lines of, “No, I do not hate men. I hate injustice and inequality. Have a good day.” Or, you could just slam a dictionary into their hands with it opened on the definition of feminist. Your choice.

4. “You throw/run/hit like a girl!”

You know who else hits like a girl? Serena Williams. A fun, lighthearted tennis match quickly turns into a sweat-pouring, Olympic competition. Try to get a tennis ball past a feminist once they’ve channeled their inner Serena.

5. The Legendary Eye Roll/The Silent Response

Possibly the worst of all: the dreaded eye roll. We’ve all probably mastered it in response to the previous statements—but when someone rolls their eyes at women’s equality? Ouch.

6. The excitement when you meet a fellow advocate.

That AMAZING moment when you meet another person who raves about Elizabeth Cady Stanton and you instantly become BFFS for Life.

7.  Getting to roast people with your knowledge.

When someone tries to argue with you but you have enough passion, facts and cited sources to silence the atrocity they’ve attempted to commit.

Student Athlete Majoring in Journalism. Obsessed with all things involving nature, art, and music.