7 Study Tips for Dead Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As the notoriously difficult winter quarter comes to a close, it’s time to start buckling down and bracing ourselves for dead week. Not prepared yet? Not a problem! Here are seven quick and easy study tips to help you avoid pre-finals panic.

1. Make listsLet’s be real – at some point or another, you’re going to have to face the music and assess just how much work there is to do before finals. So whip out your planner, your phone or even just a scrap piece of paper and write down everything you need to do. I mean it: Write down everything. While this may seem a little daunting at first, it’s important to know exactly what you’re getting yourself into and how much work you’ll have to do before finals week.

2. Set goalsOnce you’ve listed everything out, you can start setting goals. Divide your workload into manageable segments based on the number of days you have left before your final.  For example, if you have ten chapters to review and five days before your test, make it a priority to read two chapters a day. This way, you can be sure you’ll finish all your studying before the final and won’t be overwhelmed the night before your test. Not only will this alleviate stress, but it’ll feel good to complete each day’s work and know you’re on track to finishing your studying in time.

3. Find your study spaceAs great as it is to study with a partner, make sure you study in a place that works for you. Some people need complete silence (I’m talking to you, fifth-floor veterans!), while others prefer background noise. Consider what works best for you, and don’t be afraid to get creative. From soaking up some sun on Dexter, to setting up camp in the 24-hour room, to sipping a coffee at Kreuzberg, do what feels the most conducive to studying.

4. Use downtimeThere’s no point in denying it – the fact that it’s Dead Week makes us extra susceptible to those insane Starbucks lines. Suddenly, waiting in a twenty minute line seems so much more justifiable. After all, if we’re going to be up all night studying, we practically need that nonfat caramel macchiato, right? Right. But that doesn’t mean you have to waste time while you wait for your drink! Instead of scrolling through your Insta feed, try flipping through some index cards. You’ll be surprised at how quickly those extra minutes add up to valuable study time! Starbucks lines aren’t the only places you’ll have downtime; whether you’re waiting for your drink to be made or your computer to turn on, take advantage of the downtime and squeeze in a little studying.

5. Go crazy with the highlightersIt’s time to channel your inner organizer and go crazy with your highlighters. Color code everything: your notes, your handouts and your boyfriend (OK, maybe not that last one). Going through old material will not only force you to review, but it’ll make studying in the future much easier. Bonus tip: Use different colors for vocabulary words, formulas and key ideas!

6. Use index cardsI know it’s a little old school, but use index cards! They’re cheap, easy and effective. Have a lot to memorize? Here’s a tip: Start by memorizing five cards first. Once you know those cards well, gradually add more and more into the mix until you’ve memorized them all. Before you know it, you will have memorized all 200 terms for your POLS final!

7. Make time for youLast, but certainly not least, remember to make time for you. In the words of probably every frat guy we know: Work hard, play hard. Just because we call it dead week doesn’t mean you have to die! Do something to treat yourself after those long hours of studying so you won’t burn yourself out. Go on a hike, get some fro-yo, or find those stress relief puppies they bring to campus every finals week. Take care of yourself! You deserve it, girl.

Nikki is a senior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where her parents think she's on track to graduate early with degrees in both Finance and French. She is -- kind of -- but she currently functions under the delusion that graduation, much like the limit, does not actually exist. In wake of this recent quarter-life crisis, Nikki plans to live out her final days as an undergrad nursing her giant ego, making Mean Girls references, and advocating for the continued use of the Oxford comma. She prefers her dog and s'mores Poptarts over most things, and survives on a delicate combination of iced coffee and cookie dough. In her free time, Nikki enjoys binge watching Modern Family, embarrassing herself in front of cute boys, and making empty promises to go to the gym. Hate mail and Mindy Kaling gifs can be tweeted to her anytime at @nikkikontiki.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.