7 Reasons Why It’s Okay to Be Your Own Best Friend (For Now)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

A (very) long time ago, the Greek historian Herodotus said, “of all possessions, a friend is the most precious.” But what if you’ve gone off to college, lost most of the connections you had just a mere year ago, and somehow ended up only in the company of yourself? What if it’s been over five quarters, and you still haven’t find those “lifelong college friends” you thought you’d have by now? What if you haven’t been successful in making a friend since kindergarten? Fear not! The preciousness of friendship is not lost. In fact, it’s closer than ever before. But everything has its beginning. Here are seven reasons why—for now—it’s more than okay to be your own best friend:

1. You’ll learn all the best (and worst) parts of yourself.

Even more so, you’ll learn to accept all the best and worst parts of yourself. You’ll realize what sets you off, what lifts you up, and what keeps you centered. Being your own best friend allows for those exceedingly crucial moments of self-discovery you won’t be able to find anywhere, or from anyone, else.

2. You’ll be independent.

When you’re your own best friend, you’ll learn to find all support you need right in your own soul. This means no longer having to continuously seek validation from others, or needing to be told what steps to take. With self love comes self confidence, and with self confidence comes a sense of independence that will provide you with the most loyal friend there is: yourself!

3. You’ll treat yourself!

Spoiling your best friend is one of the greatest parts of friendship, and being your own best friend means—duh!—you get to spoil yourself! But treating yo’self doesn’t just have to be a vase of fresh flowers or yet another sparkly bath bomb from Lush; it can mean anything from treating yourself with love to treating yourself with patience. Understanding that you deserve any and all forms of kindness is one of the most priceless gifts of all.

4. You’ll finally understand the difference between being alone and being lonely.

When you’re first thrown into a part of our life with very few connections, being alone feels a whole lot like loneliness. Right off the bat, you may feel trapped and numb—as if you’re suffocating yourself with too many thoughts shoved inwards instead of freeing yourself with conversation propelled outwards. Once you begin to recognize, love and care for yourself as your own best friend, you’ll gradually be able to find that freedom in time spent in your own company.

5. You’ll get in touch with a side of yourself that you never even knew existed.

Have you ever thought that perhaps you could be an artist? A writer? A yogi? When being your own best friend, you’ll have all the more space in your heart to tap into a new hobby or interest without worrying about anyone else’s judgement or criticism. When you’re on your own and ready to explore the realm of You, you won’t even have to concern yourself with anyone stealing your spotlight. The floor is all yours!

6. You’ll discover respect, honesty and trust within yourself.

The more loving time you spend with yourself, the more you’ll grow to discover optimum solace in yourself. Not only will you become your own best friend, but you’ll find yourself being your own biggest fan, your own most constructive critic and your own best-trusted companion. You’ll crave adventure, inspire poetry, and realize that you are so, incredibly deserving of greatness.

7. You’ll find the connections you’ve been longing for the entire time.

After spending time being your own best friend, whether it was for a week, a month or for the rest of your life, you’ll have grown in so many meaningful ways. This growth has not only strengthened the relationship you have with yourself, but it has gifted you with the confidence, self-awareness, and love to begin creating new ones. These sprouted branches outstretch your greatness forth, and with being your own best friend, you’ve never been more ready to be the world’s best friend—or perhaps just now ready to tell that super cool chick in your Sociology lecture that you really like her jacket. Who knows? Maybe she’s ready to take the next step after practicing being her own best friend, too.

Zoe Magno

Cal Poly

Zoe Magno is a second year English major studying at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She loves cats, vegan ice cream, and reveling in the absurdity of life. Joining Her Campus has not only given her an opportunity to find solace as a shy-yet-wordy writer, but a school year full of the loveliest memories. You can discover an even more creative side of Zoe on Instagram at @zomag. 
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.