7 Reasons to Join Her Campus Cal Poly Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Are you a Cal Poly student who loves to write or plan publicity events? Well, you came to the right place. Her Campus Cal Poly is one of the leading chapters for Her Campus Media, which is the No. 1 magazine for college women.  Basically, we are a magazine for college women, by college women. Her Campus Cal Poly is in the top 20 percent of over 300 Her Campus chapters across the globe, meaning our site generates tons of traffic through the Cal Poly community. But how would that affect you? Well, if you write for us, your work would be read by hundreds (or even thousands) of your peers.

Beyond being a team of amazing writers, Her Campus Cal Poly is also dedicated to hosting events on- and off-campus for the homeless women in our community. We’ve hosted several events, including a Open Mic Night Clothing Drive, and a Winter Supplies Drive. We are also focused on raising awareness and support for women on our campus, which is why we often have UU booths and movie events on campus. If you’re motivated and great at planning, we would love to have you on our team

If we haven’t convinced you to join our chapter’s team already, keep reading to learn seven more reasons to join now!

1. You can pitch your own article topics.

Here at Her Campus Cal Poly, we typically only assign articles that you’ve pitched yourself! This gives you the freedom to write articles on any topic you want – how great is that? We encourage unique pitches and will help you find the best topics to cover.

2. You’ll have your work published on a well-known platform.

Have you ever dreamed of having your work published for the whole world to see? Well, now’s your chance. Typically, Her Campus Cal Poly generates thousands of unique page views per month, meaning your articles will be visible to a huge group of people. Plus, if the national Her Campus Media likes your piece, they’ll even share it on their Facebook page. Being shared on their site generates even more page views!

3. You can gain leadership experience.

Beyond just being a writer or a member of our PR team, our chapter has an executive team filled with editors, social media managers and PR/events directors. There are so many positions available that will help you grow your skillset and prepare you for your future. Who knew boosting your resume could be so fun?

4. You’ll be a part of an amazing team.

Our team has over 50 members, and will only continue to grow! We love having members from all colleges on campus – it helps us create diverse content. By the end of the year, you’ll have made friends with people from every major all because of our amazing Her Campus family.

5. Planning events is fun, but attending them is even better.

If event-planning isn’t your forte, don’t worry! We encourage each of our members to attend all our events – which are tons of fun! Our Open Mic Night Clothing Drive at SLODOCO last year won Her Campus Media’s Best Event Award (yay, us!), and we hope to host successful events like that in the future!

6. We love bonding events.

Bonding is one of our favorite things to do, especially if we get to go someplace fun. A few times a quarter, we have events like going to the pumpkin patch, going wine-tasting for those over 21, hosting bring-your-own-take-out movie nights, picnics at the beach and much more! It’s basically our little way of hanging out together while doing something fun in SLO!

7. Nationals sends us goodies in survival kits!

Being a Pink-level chapter has its perks! We receive some of the best survival kits available to the Her Campus chapters. But, what exactly are survival kits? Well, Her Campus Media’s sponsors puts together a care package for all of us to help us get through some of the toughest times, like finals! Chapter members have the chance to look through the goodies first, before we share them with our campus! Some of these goodies have included L’oreal makeup, Yogi tea, Diva Cups and much more!

Now that we’ve sold you on why joining our Her Campus team will be the best decision you make at Cal Poly, it’s time to fill out an application! Fill out this form midnight on Jan. 20 to be considered as a new member of Her Campus Cal Poly!

Taylor Petschl

Cal Poly '18

Taylor Petschl is a Cal Poly SLO alum and is currently attending Boston University for graduate school. She is a former campus correspondent and editorial intern for Her campus!