7 of the Most Underrated Shops in Downtown SLO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Going to school in San Luis Obispo definitely has its perks – you’re close to the beach, have a variety of mouthwatering restaurants only a few miles from campus, and so many unique, one-of-a kind stores that you are sure to spend more than just a couple bucks in. Check out this list of our seven favorite shops in Downtown San Luis Obispo that will soon become your favorites too:

Boo Boo Records (978 Monterey Street) ​

• This is our one stop shop for all things music. The shop has a huge collection of both CDs and vinyls, not to mention various band paraphernalia, like a Yellow Submarine lunch box, that you’re sure to love. There’s always a groovy record playing inside, which adds to the overall chill, laid-back atmosphere of the place. We love scoping out the sale section, picking up a random record or two, and being pleasantly surprised by the tunes that come out of the speakers. It’s like a musical Russian roulette, except you never lose.

The Sock Drawer (852 Higuera Street)

• ​This one rocks our socks. Though small, The Sock Drawer carries socks with every kind of design you can imagine on them. You want socks with bananas on them? No problem. Frida Kahlo? Done. Oh, you can’t find a pair of socks with a sloth eating a donut on them anywhere? Look no further. Think of any design and this store probably has it printed on a comfortable pair of socks. Seriously this place has a pair of socks for everyone, no matter the age or interest. 

Humankind Fair Trade (982 Monterey Street)

• ​Humankind Fair Trade is a nonprofit shop in San Luis Obispo that sells products created by artists in the developing world and then returns the income to the artists. Not only that, but this shop providers customers with the stories of the artists, giving each piece a personal touch. If that isn’t enough to get you to walk into the store tomorrow, then we don’t know what else will sell you on this place. You can find everything here – from clothing, to candles, to jewelry, and even picture frames. We love this store because it truly has a mission of making this world a better place.

Hands Gallery (777 Higuera Street)

• ​We love love love Hands Gallery. They have so many quirky, one-of-a kind gifts and art pieces that we guarantee you will fall in love with. The best part is that this gallery sells pieces created by local artists, which makes each piece so unique and something to truly cherish. Not only does this place showcase some terrific art, it also carries the cutest simplistic jewelry (hint hint S.O.) that are sure to spruce up any outfit so you can slay all day.  

Phoenix Books (986 Monterey Street)

• ​This bookstore is the bee’s knees. With multiple sections for every audience, it seems Phoenix Books has literally every book ever printed. Seriously, the place is packed from floor to ceiling with every book imaginable. We love stopping in on a lovely afternoon with a hot cup of coffee and just browsing the shelves, thumbing through books in every section of the store. The prices are super low too, so don’t feel like you’re going to break the bank if you walk up to the register with a stack of 14 books in your arms. 

Heart’s Desire Soap (779 Higuera Street)

• ​If you’re into skincare (and we know you are), this is the place to be. A family owned and operated business, all of their products in store are naturally and ethically made, which is a win in our book. They carry all kinds of skincare products, like soap, perfume, shampoo, lip balm, and body butters. Not to mention the scents of their soaps are absolutely heavenly: Lavender Rosemary, Rose Petal Honey, and even Beer & Oat. Next time you need to replenish your skincare cabinet, look no further than Heart’s Desire, your skin will thank you!

Wilshire Hospice Hope Chest (445 Higuera Street)

• ​If you’re looking to save a couple bucks, then check out one of our favorite thrift shops in SLO. This isn’t like any other thrift shop, though. It’s set up like an antique store, with different rooms holding new treasures waiting to be discovered. Like any thrift shop, it may take a bit of hunting before you discover the one piece that made your trip worth it. However, the hunt is easy at Hope Chest, with each room housing reasonably priced, unique items that you are sure to snatch up.

BONUS: SLO Art Museum (1010 Broad Street)

• If you don’t feel like spending any money at all, then cruise over to the SLO Art Museum to check out some of the best art that SLO has to offer. Admission is free, though donations are welcome, which makes it a prime place to take a date so you can impress him/her with your love for art and culture. New exhibits are put up frequently, so there is always something new to look at and something beautiful to appreciate!

The eclectic vibe of San Luis Obispo is what makes living in this city particularly worthwhile. And with the unique mix of shops located here in this Central Coast town, there is a place for everyone to find their one stop shop for something, be it socks or soap. We hope that we were able to introduce you to one (or a few) new stores that you can’t wait to explore!