7 Fashion Tips From Europe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Last summer, I had a wonderful time living in the beautiful city of Amsterdam, and of course, enjoying the European food. After three months, I still hadn’t picked up a lot of Dutch, but luckily I did pick up some European fashion tips to share!

1. Keep it classy

After I got to Amsterdam, it didn’t take long for me to realize the level of sophistication Europeans have when it comes to their clothing. Rarely would I see people wearing leggings and tennis shoes anywhere but the gym.

2. Avoid the labels and big logos

Something very common with American clothes is the placement of the logo in the center of the shirt. In Europe, people are subtler when it comes to their brand of clothing, so avoid huge labels and pick a shirt for the fit or color instead. 

3. Stay away from distracting patterns

Simplicity goes a long way, so keep the crazy patterned shirt for lounging around. Instead, go for a classier feel when you get dressed in the morning.

4. You Only Live Once: buy the shoes

If you are going to splurge on anything, it should be a decent pair of shoes. Lots of Europeans, especially those in Amsterdam, love to walk or bike everywhere while still looking very fashionable. This takes investing the extra money in the pair of shoes that will look fabulous and feel amazing all day. As far as the type of shoe goes, ballet flats were popular, along with a nice sandal for the summertime.

5. Jeans etiquette

Jeans are quite popular in Europe, as in America, for their comfort. However, they are styled differently. Instead of tight and low rise jeans, the Europeans keep them fitted and higher than most of the waistlines here. Pairing jeans with a nice pair of shoes and top would be common during the weekends.

6. Hats, hats and more hats

The European women are very careful when it comes to taking care of their skin. Most of them will throw on a hat when walking outside, as they believe it’s important to protect their skin from the sun. Wide brimmed hats are very popular and keep a girl cool. 

7. Have your own sense of style

It doesn’t take the most expensive brands to be unique. Wear what makes you happy, that’s all that counts. 

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8