6 Ways Masturbating Will Improve Your Sex Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Let’s start off by saying that masturbating is totally normal and natural and you do not have any reason to feel embarrassed or ashamed for doing it. In fact, masturbating is a great way to explore your body and know what’s actually “down there.” It’s funny actually, because it seems that the people who don’t masturbate and are sexually active are less satisfied with their sex lives, or are limited because they don’t know enough about their bodies.

Boys are pretty simple when it comes to sex which is why it’s common for them to orgasm every time they have sex, but for girls, it’s a bit more complicated. There are a lot of different parts that need to be stimulated in different ways in order to reach orgasm, and each girl is different. Knowing how and what will get you to orgasm will not only make you feel more comfortable about your body, but it will make for a more pleasurable experience in the bedroom when you are with your partner.

Below are six ways masturbating will improve your sex life.

1. Knowing What to Ask from Your Partner

Once you know what you do and don’t like down there, you can tell your partner what exactly he/she can do to make your experience more pleasurable. Don’t be afraid to be specific when asking your partner/s to do things. Also, guiding them with your hands can help them better understand what exactly they need to do to help you reach orgasm. 

2. Knowing Where the Clit Is

Maybe you thought you knew where the clit was and thought your partner was hitting it, and maybe they were, but maybe they were way off and you just didn’t know it. Regardless, masturbating is a sure way of finding out first-hand (no pun intended) where that magical spot is and if your partner is, in fact, getting to it. Once you know where it is and what it feels like to be touched there, you can help your partner locate it too.

3. Feeling More Confident in the Bedroom

Knowing your body and feeling comfortable expressing it will allow you to gain more confidence in the bedroom. Once you know that orgasm is possible, you will be less inclined to be passive during sex. Sex is not just about pleasing your partner, it’s supposed to be equally enjoyable for yourself as well. Be empowered by the fact that you know your body better than anyone else!

4. Knowing What Should Be Expected of Your Partner

Enough with the excuses! If you know that your partner isn’t satisfying your needs, tell them what they need to change and expect that they will make an honest effort to change that. Know what is expected on your partner’s end in order to make sex as pleasurable as possible for BOTH of you. Don’t allow laziness on their part!

5. Never Settling for Mediocre Sex

Once you know how great you feel at your climax, you will set the bar higher for the rest of your sexual encounters. Knowing how great sex can be opens your eyes to what bad sex really is and you’ll look back on your past and ask yourself, “How tf did I settle for that pathetic excuse for sex?”

6. No More Faking Orgasms

Faking orgasms is so bad on so many levels, yet so many girls do it. Why? Maybe their partners are doing something that makes them feel completely uncomfortable and they want the agony to end, maybe it’s to make their partners feel more confident about themselves and their abilities to make them cum, maybe a girl really thought she was cumming when she really wasn’t. Whatever the case may be, faking an orgasm is a lie that is only going to hurt you in the long run. Once you know what an orgasm feels like and know what effort needs to be put in to get you there, you will feel less inclined to fake an orgasm. If something feels uncomfortable, you know what to tell your partner to make your experience more pleasurable. Also, you won’t feel the need to give your partner a false sense of achievement since you know where they are failing and know that they should be able to give you as much pleasure as you are able to give yourself, if not more.

Now that you know just a few of the perks of solo sex, get out there and start getting to know your beautiful body! Have fun feelin’ yo self.