6 Tips to Protect Yourself From SLOstorms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The clouds darken as another storm in SLO approaches. You clutch your very expensive textbooks underneath your jacket in an attempt to protect them. As you get inside and pull out your books, you let out a gasp. WATER DAMAGE. Here are some tips and tricks to keep your things from getting completely soaked in the rain on a busy college day:

1. Use a plastic bag to protect your belongings

Grab a medium sized plastic bag, and fill it with all your books and laptop. Place that bag inside your backpack to provide a double barrier against water damage.

2. Consider buying a Rain Jacket Backpack

If you prefer not to use the recycled bag trick, check these out from an article by Trendhunter.com.

3. If you ride a bike, cover your bike seat in a large ziploc bag

Flip the bag to the dry inside when you need to get to class that way your seat stays dry, and so does your butt.

4. Buy cheap, adorable rain boots

Designer brands of rain boots are cute and all, but they are expensive as Kanye’s concert T-shirts. Stores like Target have cheap, adorable rain boots that you can wear until SLO is 85 degrees again.

5. If you have a dog and care more about its little fluffy body being drier than your own, invest in a pet umbrella like this one:

Yeah, you read this right. A PET UMBRELLA. (found on Ebay).

6. If you’d rather be drinking a nice glass of wine watching some Netflix than be at class rn, there are umbrellas that are designed to look like wine bottles sold on Amazon for around $10

Although this may require some explaining to a concerned professor or administration.

Make sure to jump in puddles and have a little fun before the rain storms are over! Stay dry, SLO.

Student Athlete Majoring in Journalism. Obsessed with all things involving nature, art, and music.