6 Best Things to Do During the UU Hour at Cal Poly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

School can overwhelm even the best of us at times; when that happens, it’s important to take a break from your studies and unwind. A great time to do this is the University Union (UU) Hour at Cal Poly, which takes place from 11 a.m to 12 p.m every Thursday. During this time, there are fewer classes on campus, and students are able to participate in a variety of activities on campus offered by ASI and Cal Poly that are designed to promote mindfulness and relaxation. Below are a just a few of the many activities offered during UU Hour at Cal Poly that you can take advantage of:

1. Procrastination Station

Offered by ASI, Procrastination Station is an activity that takes place during Dead Week each quarter. Procrastination starts with UU Hour at 11 a.m., and goes on throughout the afternoon. It includes pizza, a coloring station and 15-minute massages! If your brain is fried from studying for finals, this is a great time for you to de-stress with one of your favorite childhood activities and good food. Then, finish off with a massage before returning to the monotony of studying.

2. Club Showcases

Cal Poly has over 300 different clubs and organizations for students to participate in on campus, and many of them often have booths in the UU plaza during the UU Hour. If you need a break from studying, head on down to the UU plaza and take some time to find a new club to join, help fundraise for a nonprofit, or just enjoy the fun activities (and free food) that many of these clubs offer.

3. Concerts and Recitals

It is a proven fact that not only does music help you relax, but it also helps promote happiness and productivity! For that reason, ASI invites local artists and bands to come play in the UU for student enjoyment at least once a month, and the Music Department holds recitals every other week in the UU plaza. Not only is this a great opportunity for you to enjoy live music and support local artists and musicians, this can also be a great opportunity to find new friends with great taste in music.

4. Lectures

Cal Poly offers many lectures and lecture series on a variety of subjects, and they are free for all students. If you need a break from studying but still want to spend your time productively, attend one of the lectures put on by Cal Poly during the UU Hour. Even if you aren’t part of the college offering the lecture, you are still welcome to attend. This is a great way to broaden your mind and learn more about some of the amazing things going on at Cal Poly and in the SLO community.

5. The BRAE BBQ

The Bioresource and Agricultural Engineering (BRAE) Department, located in Building 8, offers a BBQ lunch every Thursday during the hour. All food is freshly prepared by the Agricultural Engineering Society (AES), and offers students the opportunity to mix and mingle with members of the BRAE department and find out more about the club. All students on campus are welcome to join the AES at their weekly BBQ and learn more about the activities they put on around campus, such as the annual tractor pull they host each year during the Cal Poly Open House.

6. Classes at the Rec Center

Not only is the Cal Poly Rec Center the largest college recreation center this side of the Mississippi River, it offers a variety of classes for students to participate in to strengthen their mind and body. During UU Hour, students can participate in over 20 different classes from five different categories: mind body, cardio focus, strength and tone, strength training and fee-based. Any classes that are not fee-based are free for all Cal Poly students, and can be a great opportunity to relax your body and get fit at the same time.

Audrey is a senior studying agricultural sciences at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. After graduating, she plans to get a teaching credential and master's in Agricultural Education, and pursue a career as an agricultural science teacher and FFA advisor. Outside of school, she works as a teaching assistant at a local high school. In her free time, she can be found square dancing, rocking out to Taylor Swift, or whipping up tasty treats and (attempting) to take a decent photo of them for Instagram. Facebook: Audrey Lent Twitter: @TheAudreyLent Instagram: @Audrey_Lent