This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

When spring quarter rolls around, seniors across campus slowly realize that graduation is really, actually, finally happening. But that doesn’t make the process easy. Those who are about to graduate go through their own stages of grief when it comes to saying good-bye to college:

Denial

You’ve spent years joking about graduation, but none of it felt real until that email from commencement popped up in your inbox. Wait…what’s this about tickets? And robes and tassels and diploma frames? You exit out of the email app and joke with your friends about picking up a minor, or just doing grad school. You’ve got all the time in the world! …Right?

Anger

It started with one email from commencement, but then that turned into a second. And a third. And a fourth. By the time your mom is texting you and asking how many graduation announcements you plan on buying, you’re ready to chuck your phone off of Bishop’s Peak. What is wrong with these people? Why can’t they let you enjoy your rigorous schedule of bowling, naps and Rec Center yoga in peace?

Bargaining

Why did you ever think that one quarter of 20 units was smart? Who ever thought graduating on time was actually a good idea? Maybe you could get a job on campus, or just stick in SLO for a few more months. Could you hide in PCV and pretend to be an RA? Are post-grad WoW leaders a thing?

Depression

This is it. It’s all over. All your friends are leaving and the bookstore barely gives any money for your used textbooks and everything in the world sucks. Maybe you’ll just go cry at Metro and think about all the unused Plus Dollars you ever wasted.

Related: What a GPA is Really Worth at Cal Poly

Acceptance

Well…maybe getting a real job and not being broke will be pretty cool. Moving to a new city can also be kind of exciting? And no matter the distance, you know your friends will still always be only a phone call away. SLO will always be SLOme, but there’s so much in your future to look forward to!

Sinéad Schouten is a fifth year English major at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Her life is a constant cycle of late night coffee and midday napping. Someday she'll get real sleep.