This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Whether you’re a Central Coast native or from out of state, San Luis Obispo is now your “SLOme”! Finding the perfect SLO activity to do when friends and family come to visit can be difficult due to the vast amount of options. Here are the top five destinations around SLO for when loved ones visit.

1. Pismo Beach

Cal Poly is the perfect distance from both the mountains and the beach, so why not spend a day out on the open sea at Pismo Beach? Paddleboarding is a fun and relaxing exercise that the whole family is sure to enjoy. Pismo Beach Surf Shop has affordable rental prices for boards, and even offers individual or group lessons. After becoming a paddleboard-expert, head over to Splash Cafe for their famous clam chowder. With salty hair and full stomachs, window shopping is a must to finish off this perfect beach day. There are many stores on the beachfront, and your guests are sure to find the ultimate souvenir to take home.  

2. Downtown SLO

A trip to Cal Poly is not complete without an excursion downtown. Shopping is always a good fall-back option, but downtown SLO offers so much more in terms of culture. Take a walk to a quirky cafe, such as Mint + Craft, to taste yummy coffee and treats. Just around the corner, Palm Theater shows award-winning indie flicks, one of which may become your new favorite movie. The old Hollywood vibe and intimate setting is an unforgettable experience that will make your guests love SLO even more.

3. Bishops Peak

If the adventurous members of the family are planning a trip to SLO, a hike is a definite must-do. Bishop Peak is basically the symbol of SLO and is an intermediate hike with stunning views of Cal Poly. Set aside two hours for the hike and to enjoy the view at the top, and then reward yourself with a slice of delectable cake at Madonna Inn.

Related: 7 Hidden Gems in SLO perfect for the Weary College Student​

4. Monarch Butterfly Grove

Pismo Beach is home to the beautiful Monarch Butterfly Grove. Sit in peace or catch up with your visitors while admiring the seemingly hundreds of butterflies resting in the trees. Afterwards, it’s only a quick drive to Oceano for an exciting evening at the beautiful theater, Melodrama. Yummy popcorn is available with the interactive show, and make sure to tell the cast members if you’re celebrating a birthday or anniversary!

5. Farmer’s Market

If family or friends are visiting on a Thursday, it’s no question that a stroll through the downtown farmer’s market is essential. Sample tasty bites from local restaurants, enjoy bands playing on street corners, and admire the beauty of downtown SLO in the evening. There are plenty of fun dinner options surrounding the market for a meal before or after shopping.

With so many activities in SLO, visiting family members are sure to have a blast!

Sadie Mae Mace is a second year student at Cal Poly SLO majoring in Animal Science with a focus on Pre-Veterinary Medicine and minoring in Equine Science. Sadie Mae plans to pursue her Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine after graduation and ultimately become a veterinarian at a mixed animal practice focusing on rescue and rehabilitation. She enjoys backpacking, traveling abroad, and watching vintage movies.