5 Adorable Gifts to Make This Mother’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Mother’s Day: a day dedicated to our mothers to celebrate how amazing they are and all they do for us. One day isn’t enough, really. We should be celebrating just how awesome our moms are every day of the year. Either way, it’s important to make your mom feel special and loved on Mother’s Day and take care of her for a change.

When it comes to giving gifts to your mom on Mother’s Day, sometimes the best gifts are the ones that you make for her. They are special and show that you took the effort to make something nice for her. Here are some fun and beyond adorable gifts to make for your mom.

If your mom likes to drink coffee or tea, this is a great gift idea for you: a personalized coffee mug! It’s so adorable and so easy to make! For this gift you will need:

1. 1. a mug
  2. 2. some letter stickers
  3. 3. paint (maybe pick your mom’s favorite colors!)
  4. 4. (a) circle sponge(s)

Start by placing the letters on the mug; you can spell out mom, mother or put your mom’s name. Then, using the circle sponge, apply the paint(s) to the mug making a cute and colorful circular pattern. Allow for the paint to dry, then remove the letters to reveal the name. You can even do this with sharpie paint pens too and just bake it in the oven at 250 degrees for about 20 minutes. This will make a cute gift that she’ll get to enjoy every morning.

If your mom likes cute decor for the house this is a great idea for you: blooming monograms! These are totally in right now. For this gift, you will need:

1. (a) paper mache letter(s) (like an initial or you can spell out mom)
  2. an exacto knife
  3. floral foam
  4. some silk flowers
  5. wire cutters
  6. a hot glue gun

Using the exacto knife, cut off the front of the letter(s) and hollow out the letter(s). Then, cut the floral foam to fill up the letter(s), and secure it with hot glue. Next, trim the silk flowers, leaving a short wire stem and position them into the foam. You can also use hot glue to reinforce the flowers.

Candles are always a lovely gift. They are cozy and warm, and make the house smell wonderful. But, to make it more fun, the candle is in a coffee mug! For this gift, you will need:

1. a cute coffee mug
  2. candle wax flakes (enough to fill up the mug twice)
  3. candle wicks
  4. pencil/chopsticks
  5. a pot or sauce pan
  6. glass bowl or smaller pot
  7. fragrance oil (for a scented candle)
  8. scotch tape

Start by filling the pot halfway with water and bring it to a boil. Create a double broiler by placing the bass bowl or smaller pot over the boiling water with the wax flakes in it. Allow the wax to completely melt. While the flakes are melting, get your mug ready! Place the candle wick in the center of the mug and keep it standing and centered using a pencil or chopstick. If you use the chopsticks, you can place the wick between the chopsticks and tape them together. Once the wax is completely melted, remove the smaller pot/glass bowl from the water and stir the fragrance into the melted wax. Then, immediately pour the wax into the mug, making sure that the wick stays centered. Let the mug rest for about 24 hours. After the 24 hours have passed, trim the wick. Now you have a beautiful candle!

Now, what mom doesn’t like to have a picture of her child? This gift is extremely adorable and allows you to really get creative! For this gift you will need:

1. some letters (you can use just an “m” and an “o” for mom)
  2. a camera and a pretty background
  3. a frame that holds at least three photos
  4. developed/printed pictures

Take the letters with you to a pretty place; some ideas might be your favorite places around SLO, around an area with pretty flowers, your mom’s favorite places, etc. Take a picture holding one of the letters. Once you have pictures for all the letters, either take your pictures to get printed or print them yourself. Then, place the photos in the frame to spell out mom. It’s so cute, and your mom will love getting to see her baby all the time!

Last but not least, it’s mom’s special day and she could use some pampering. Mom needs to take care of herself, too! A bubble bath sundae is perfect for just that. This is what you will need:

1. a sundae glass (you can find some cute ones at Tuesday Morning, antique stores, or even Target!)
  2. a box of powder bubble bath
  3. a box of baking soda
  4. red bath bead
  5. a white loofah
  6. a bendy straw
  7. a hot glue gun

Fill the sundae glass with 3/4 cup of bubble bath powder. Then, on top of the bubble bath powder, put 1/2 cup of baking soda. It should be in layers. Place the white loofah on top to make it look like whip cream. Then, hot glue the red bath bead onto the loofah to make it look like the cherry on top of the sundae. Lastly, insert the bendy straw, and you have an adorable bubble bath sundae that she will enjoy.

Whatever gift you make for your mom, she will love it. Remember to make your mom feel special on Mother’s Day and let her know she is loved!

Emily has also authored political articles for Restless Magazine and numerous inspirational and empowering pieces for Project Wednesday. When she isn't writing, she can be found flying off to her next adventure, attempting new recipes, listening to one of her infinite playlists on Spotify, or cuddling with her dogs. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @emilycveith.
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.