This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

There is a large presence of Greek life on our Cal Poly campus. With 17 fraternities on the Interfraternity Council, 10 sororities on the Panhellenic Council, and nine sororities and fraternities on the United Sorority & Fraternity Council, thousands of Cal Poly students are members of Greek life. That being said, Greek Week is a great opportunity to socialize with all of these members and have some fun while you’re at it! Here are a couple of reasons to to get pumped up for an awesome week:

This is the best opportunity for all of Greek life to come together

Here is the chance to interact with all chapters across this widespread campus. You can mingle with people outside of your chapter and socialize with others that you may not have been able to otherwise. Who doesn’t love making more friends? You are quite literally submerged in a place where you are surrounded by people who share similar values and goals as yourself. Greek Week encourages Greek members to focus on the reasons many people join Greek life: for that feeling of brotherhood and sisterhood. Branch out and increase the size of your social circle.

There are so many entertaining games and activities

With events like the well-known, “Beach Day,” the new installation of GreekY where members of Greek life get to share how going Greek has impacted them, Lip Sync and so much more, you’re guaranteed to have a great time. You can try new sports, make fun memories, and generally have a lot of laughs. Take part and make it one of your best weeks this year.

There’s an air of friendly competition

A little healthy competition never hurt anybody. Gloating rights can be enjoyable for some and the encouragement of competition may make you more willing to get engaged. Not only is it just about sports, but club and scholastic affairs play a large part, as well. Winning obviously isn’t everything, but battling against some friends can be amusing. Work hard and earn that top spot!

You can get involved with the San Luis Obispo and Cal Poly communities

Greek Week is the biggest Greek event to experience every year and doesn’t only occur on campus; it’s bigger than just us. With the implementation of food fundraisers off campus, a blood drive, “Take Back the Night” to advocate against sexual violence, and more opportunities, it is easy to intermingle with the entire San Luis Obispo community. Getting involved is so self-rewarding. Volunteer, give back, rally with your SLO peers, and help make a change in your local area.