3 Things Every Transfer Student Should Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Being a transfer student means being stuck somewhere between a junior and a freshman. When it comes to academics, maturity and overall life experiences, you can feel extremely comfortable — but everything else might feel like a terrible abyss of the unknown.

Starting relationships is difficult. Most students have already been attending your school for two years by the time you get there. Everyone seems like they already have friends and aren’t looking to make new ones. It is especially hard to find friends your own age when you are stuck in 200-level classes and all your classmates are freshmen. Now, there’s nothing wrong with befriending a freshman, but when you’re a 21-year-old transfer student, you usually want to make friends your own age. Fortunately, I have some tips that I’ve acquired from transfer friends, a little research and my own personal dilemmas that’ll make the transition a little easier.

Being a transfer student is an amazing thing, but at times can be extremely hard. Adjusting to a new school, town and life is a difficulty that everyone faces when they go away to college — but transfer students might experience “transfer shock,” a term coined by psychologists. It’s self-explanatory: transferring is a shocking experience. Studies have shown transfer students often experience drops in their GPA because of the rough transition.

“Because you’re new to a place, you may not spend as much time on your education as you want to, since you’re trying to find new people and explore,” comparative ethnic studies junior Nikki Hunter said.

Tip #1: From Study Buddy to Lifelong Friend

My first tip to avoid transfer shock is to find study buddies. A study buddy is someone to meet up with during your breaks or when you have to be at the library all day. This is one of the easiest ways to make connections with people from class, because chances are they were headed to the library after class anyway.

Also, on the first day of class always get the phone number of someone sitting by you. You never know when you will have a question on an assignment, or sleep in and miss class. Plus, one of the greatest friendships I’ve ever had started simply with meeting a friend in class.

Tip #2: Don’t Be Too Cool for WOW (Orientation)

Cal Poly has WOW (Week of Welcome) for transfer students as well as freshman. Many friends can be made through this program. It does make you feel like a freshman more than ever, but it’s honestly worth it. By the end of the week, you will have so many new friends you won’t even be able to keep up.

If you already transferred this year, no worries! Become a WOW leader and start building friendships now, since training starts soon. When it comes to transferring, “it pushes you outside of your comfort zone and forces you to be more outspoken, friendly and outgoing than if you went to a place that you had been going to since freshman year,” Hunter said.

Tip #3: Get Off Your Butt and Get Involved

Joining a club or organization on campus may seem intimidating, or you may feel like you don’t have enough time, but it isn’t and you do! There are so many different clubs at Cal Poly; during orientation, I signed up for 12. I’m not even kidding. I was determined to make friends and jump out of my comfort zone! You are only this young once, so there is no time to waste! FYI: I actually stuck with three, and yes, I don’t have much free time, but I wouldn’t want it any other way.

The best advice I ever got before coming to Cal Poly was from a friend who transferred here before me. She said, “Don’t ever be home.” When she first told me that, I thought she was crazy, but after being here for six months, there is no greater truth.

Get out, explore, get involved, make studying a social habit and always push the boundaries of your comfort zone! Be free of inhibitions and most importantly, just be yourself. The rest will fall into place.

A lover of all things outdoors and extreme. Buffalo chicken wings are everything to me. If I'm sleeping, only the brave dare wake me up. Most of all, a lover of life.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.