19 Things That Inevitably Happen When You’re Biracial

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

1.    People like to try and “guess where you’re from” and it’s actually pretty entertaining.

The more ethnically ambiguous you are, the crazier the guesses end up being. It’s great.

2.    Your “race” varies from official document to official document

If there isn’t an “other” option, you’ll just bubble in something random and hope no one notices and throws you in prison.

3.    People are always surprised when they meet your parents

“That’s your mom? I had no idea she was (insert race here)!” –every friend you’ve ever had

4.    Some have even asked you if you’re adopted

5.    Sometimes you feel like an outsider when you’re spending time with the half of your relatives that look nothing like you

Just hanging with my biological family. Yes, BIOLOGICAL.

6.    You tan more quickly than anyone you know

It’s both a blessing and a curse that your skin usually turns 10 shades darker after 15 minutes in the sun.

7.    You have crazy “mixed hair”

You can thank genetics for picking out the most annoying hair traits from both sides of the family and giving them all to you

8.    You don’t understand people who advocate against interracial relationships

Sorry, but I don’t have time for your archaic point of view.

9.    You’ve been asked about what ethnicity you “identify” with

Do I HAVE to pick just one?

10.  You’ve been called “exotic”…

11.  …and a “mutt”…

12.  …and been asked why you don’t speak certain languages or follow certain religious beliefs

Haha… oops.

13.  You wonder if you’ll ever find a doppelgänger

Because you’ve never met anyone that looks even remotely like you

14.  But on the plus side…you grew up eating all kinds of traditional cuisine from the multiple sides of your family

15.  You also get to visit relatives all over the world

And it’s the most exciting thing EVER.

16.  …and celebrate holidays from multiple cultures

There is never such a thing as too many holidays. Holidays are life.

17.  Sometimes you fantasize about the beautiful multi-racial children you will have you marry another biracial person

Filipino/Italian/Turkish/Brazillian? Arabian/Irish/Chinese/Ethiopian? YES PLEASE.

18.  You’re proud of how cool and progressive your parents were at the time they were dating.

19.  You love being biracial, because it’s what makes you unique.

Now go out there and change the world.

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8