12 Things My Parents Have Taught Me in 21 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Mother… and Father know best? That’s definitely not what we thought when we were 14 and literally TOO cool for everyone, especially our parents. Maybe it’s an ethnic parents thing, but I’m usually bombarded with advice about life, relationships, friends and even what brand of toilet paper to buy every time we talk on the phone. However, the distance us college kids get from Mom and Dad while away at school makes us appreciate how they always have our back and best interests in mind, despite the constant advice. Here are some of the useful things I’ve learned the past 21 years on Earth thanks to the parentals:

1.Don’t compare your inside story with anyone else’s outside story

We’ve all compared ourselves with other people we know: “Oh she’s so smart and pretty and has her life together, I wish I could be her!” It’s easy to get caught up in other people’s exteriors, but it’s not realistic to compare. You don’t necessarily know what they’re really going through on the interior. So make sure to notice the amazing qualities YOU have.

2.Think positive

I can always count on my dad to send me a text at least once a day reminding me to “stay positive.”  No matter how down life and classes can get you, remaining positive is a simple idea that can really affect your outlook and motivation.

3.Bring a jacket 

Mom’s right. You WILL get cold, and WILL wish you brought a jacket.

4.Don’t let other people be your source of happiness 

No one but yourself can dictate your happiness. Especially if it’s someone you’re dating; there’s a dime a dozen datable people out there, but only you are capable of creating your own long-term happiness.

5.You have too busy of a life to regret anything

It’s true. Regretting things takes time and energy out of your already jam-packed schedule. If it’s something that has already happened, sometimes all you can do is put it in your past and move on to the bigger fish you have to fry.

6.You are more than your GPA

Ever since elementary school it has felt like our intelligence has been dictated by the grades we get. Yes, grades are important, but being “book smart” isn’t everything. Maybe you’re charismatic or funny or kind, all of which can lead to great success in your future.

7.If you don’t love it in the store, you won’t love it when you get home

Do you really think your bathroom lighting is more flattering that the lighting at the store? No, it’s not. So if that shirt isn’t the best thing since sliced bread at the store, you’re definitely not going to end up wearing it once you drop money on it and bring it home.

8.Wealth isn’t always money

The richest people are sometimes those who are lucky enough to have people in their lives that matter. Wealth is more than the number of zeroes in your bank account (Although a big bank account doesn’t hurt, the relationships you build are priceless)

9.Travel, it’s good for you

I’m blessed to have parents who have allowed me to travel on my own as well as with them to many places around the world. There is so much value in seeing cultures outside of the bubble we’re constantly surrounded by. Growth and independence are invaluable, and both come with travel.

10.Never run out of clean underwear

I don’t need to elaborate on this one. Just don’t.

11.Change is the only constant

If our lives were monotonous would it really be all that interesting? It’s hard to grasp the concept that nothing is stagnant: you’re always changing, even from quarter to quarter. Change can be scary, but it’s not necessarily a bad thing.

12.Be assertive and confident

If there’s something you want in life, there’s always a way to get it. Strong statement, I know, but if you don’t bother to try the odds are even lower of you reaching your goal. Don’t just “hope” for something. If you work towards it and believe in your success, it’s more likely to happen.

See, Mother and Father dearest, not everything you say goes in one ear and out the other!

Vini is a fourth year Biology Major with a Psych Minor at Cal Poly SLO. She hopes to work in the field of Public Health or Health Care Administration one day. Standing tall at 5'1, you can often find her shopping for cute heels online or talking nonstop to anyone she meets. When she's not cooped up at the library studying for Bio, she's out with friends (usually eating) or trying her hardest to be more outdoorsy even though she considers herself more of an "indoorsy" type. If you ever need help with what outfit to wear or need a good laugh, Vini's the person to talk to!   
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.