10 Things We Forget To Thank Our Moms For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As I grow older, I am constantly re-convinced that moms are superheroes in disguise. They not only bring us into the world, but they help us conquer it with endless support and unconditional love. Though we may not always appreciate each and every hug they insist on giving, we know they care for us and would do anything for us.

The relationship we have with our moms is a complicated one, consisting of lifelong admiration and occasional exasperation.

We go from complete infatuation, refusing to leave their side, to rejecting their affection and disregarding their heartfelt intentions and advice (aka the life of a middle schooler). But then something mysterious happens. We leave for college, and don’t think much of it until we realize how much we truly miss them.

We soon long for their wisdom, endless hugs and even their nagging about our dirty rooms.

We finally understand why they made us take an umbrella even with the smallest chance of rain, insisted on backseat driving (even if it was just down the street) and constantly texting us for updates on our whereabouts. It was simply because they love us.

Relationships teach us that people come and go, but one thing that always remains constant is our moms. Moms know all our ins and outs. They are the only person you can call at 3 a.m. and know will answer. They never forget your birthday, always listen to your dramatic stories and will always make a trip to visit you, no matter how far away you are. They also will always be the first to tell you when something doesn’t look good on you — which I have greatly appreciated while looking back on past yearbook photos.

These are a few things our moms do for us we may not always realize. These are things we forget to thank them for.

1. All the times she was the best friend/therapist/fashion consultant/hair stylist/soccer coach and did these things selflessly, without thinking twice about it.
  2. Forgiving us when we forget to call for a few days.
  3. Giving us the gift of siblings, who at one time we wanted to sell, but now appreciate and love.
  4. For celebrating our victories, no matter how small, and always reminding us how special we are.
  5. All the hours she spent driving, picking us up from practices; making sure we had a water bottle in hand or new cleats.
  6. For being present at every game, show, play or event we were involved in and cheering us on, even if she was the only one yelling in the audience.
  7. For finding every item we have ever lost in the house. It is amazing how moms have the ability to locate things that you are convinced vanished into thin air.
  8. All the things she bought last minute at the cash register, which we didn’t really need, but insisted we did.
  9. For all the home-cooked meals she prepared all by herself. I think I can speak for college students everywhere when I say this is most missed. Thank you, mom.
  10. Being the complete and utter boss in any situation, proving that there are really people out there who can do it all and make you feel like the most important person to walk this earth.

For these things, I thank all the moms out there for their tireless and endless commitment and affection. In the past, we may not have appreciated it, but we sure do now. We apologize for all the attitude we may have given in our rebellious teenage years, but hope our love today can show a small dose of the infinite adoration we have for you now and will have for you for the rest of our lives.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Samantha is a second year journalism student at Cal Poly. On campus, she is a staff writer for the Mustang News, editor for Her Campus Cal Poly, a board member on the American Marketing Association and plays intramural soccer. She loves to write, wear pajamas and re-watch episodes of The Office on Netflix. She aspires to have a career in broadcast journalism or law and hopes to someday travel around the world.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.