10 Simple Steps for Healthier Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

No one has perfect skin, but before you run out and buy $300 face cream, there are some simple fixes you may not have considered. Try these easy ways to improve your complexion!

1. Keep your skin clean. This is pretty obvious, but very important: make sure you thoroughly remove all makeup and wash your face before going to bed. If you tend to have a lot of those “Forget it, I’m too lazy” moments, keep makeup-removal wipes close to your bed. That way, cleaning your face will be almost effortless.

2. Stay hydrated. Drink more water and liquids in general. Also, use moisturizer every day. Hydrated skin is healthy skin.

3. Clean your makeup brushes. They trap dirt, oil and excess makeup — pretty nasty. If you’re only going to clean one, make it your foundation brush! A simple solution of warm water and gentle shampoo will do the trick.

4. Wash your pillowcases. If you can, wash your pillowcase every few days to ensure you’re not sleeping on days’ worth of oil soaked into the fabric. Also, avoid fabric softeners—they may leave a waxy residue behind.

According to Dr. David E. Bank, director and founder of The Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic & Laser Surgery, “When your pillowcase isn’t laundered or changed regularly, a build-up of dirt and oil from the environment as well as your skin and hair touching the pillow is transferred back to your skin. This can clog pores and cause blemishes.”

5. Block the sun. Wearing sunscreen every day can be annoying, but it’s instrumental in preventing future wrinkles! Luckily, most foundation, powder and tinted moisturizer products sold today contain SPF. If yours doesn’t, however, look for a sunscreen that will layer well under your make-up.

6. Watch your intake of junk food and dairy. We all love French fries and ice cream, but too much may cause breakouts. As is usually the case, everything in moderation.

7. Exercise to increase blood circulation and reduce stress — both will help clear skin! Make sure to remove makeup before your work out, or it may clog your pores.

8. Try a foundation primer. It can smooth skin, even out skin tone, keep you makeup on for longer and won’t clog pores! If you have oily skin, steer towards an oil-free primer.

9. Wash your hands. Hands carry germs all the time. Make sure they are clean before touching and washing your face. Better yet, avoid touching your face when possible.

10. Keep it simple. Don’t use too many products, as doing so can irritate your skin. Try a gentle face wash and moisturizer.

But most importantly, no one is perfect … So, like a Dove commercial would say, “Love the skin you’re in.”

Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.