freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Movies to Ease Your Valentine’s Vexation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

You’re walking through the grocery store and you begin to see it, in all of its glory, beneath those obnoxiously fluorescent lights. “Is it already that time of year?” You think to yourself, as you notice that your view of aisle six is blocked by a big bundle of balloons. Red and pink. Red and pink everywhere. Hearts and Cupid’s darts and teddy bears and Ferrero Rochers – a distinct reminder that the annual celebration of love is right around the corner. This image might rub you the wrong way or it might overwhelm your heart with excitement.

Regardless, there is a way for everyone to relish in the spirit of Valentine’s Day. Whether that means encompasses embracing your inner hopeless romantic or engaging in something that will pull on those heart strings, we have a list of movies that’s sure to ease your Valentine’s Day vexation. Grab some people you love and some of those Ferrero Rocher’s and indulge in these fantastic films.

*Note: This list is in no particular order.  

1. La La Land

Nominated for 14 Oscars, this captivating musical is sure to have you invested whether you’re a fan of musicals or not. Emma Stone plays an aspiring actress while Ryan Gosling plays a struggling jazz musician. Their whimsical yet suspenseful journey while pursuing their passions will have you wanting to watch La La Land over and over again.

2. 500 Days of Summer

Starring Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, this bittersweet love story bounces through time similarly to the way we recall memories. Through the happy times we yearn to relive and the bad times we wish we could forget, this inventive film does not hesitate to highlight the downfalls of hopeful expectations and harsh realities. Not to mention, it has a wonderful soundtrack.

3. Crazy Stupid Love

When Cal Weaver (Steve Carrel) finds himself in a mid-life slump after his wife (Julianne Moore) of over 20 years cheats on him and asks for a divorce, he meets Jacob Palmer (Ryan Gosling) who gives him a makeover in an effort to transform his life. Along the way, Jacob meets Hannah (Emma Stone) who has a complicated love situation of her own. These intertwined romances unfold in an engaging, thoughtful romantic comedy.

4. Silver Linings Playbook

Starring Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, this film explores mental illness and the immense power of love. When Pat (Bradley Cooper) finds his wife cheating on him, he goes haywire. Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) is fighting her own battles after losing her husband and becoming a widow. They’re both struggling to get back on their feet, but as they work at a common goal, the silver linings in their lives are illuminated.

5. Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist

Kat Dennings (Norah)  and Michael Cera (Nick) star in this film as two music-enthralled but lonesome teenagers. Although they both have exes they’re struggling to get past, they discover that they have a connection as they search for their favorite band’s show in Manhattan.

6. Focus

This superbly suspenseful film might be perfect for you if you’re looking for romance, action and plot twists. Con artist Nicky (Will Smith) and aspiring con artist (Margot Robbie) Jess, who seems to have a natural talent, involve themselves in a tangled and relentless world of trickery.

7. Love and Other Drugs

Maggie (Anne Hathaway) is an alluring artist with onset Parkinson’s disease. Jamie (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a confident, yet somewhat lost pharmaceutical rep who begins to engage with Maggie in a whirlwind of sex. Their relationship is simultaneously therapeutic and intoxicating; as it develops, they realize the strength of the most powerful drug: love.

8. Cadillac Records

Beyoncé. Need I say more? In this Blues melodrama, the lives of musical legends are explored, and the rise and fall of the record company that set their careers in motion is showcased. This film takes place in Chicago in the 1950s, celebrating Blues music and culture through a symphony of passion and pain.

9. The Great Gatsby

Based on F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic novel, this movie captures the essence of the elite life during the roaring twenties with Leonardo Dicaprio’s dazzling performance as Jay Gatsby. Through illusion, love and deception, this film follows Gatsby’s infatuation and pursual of Daisy (Carey Mulligan) while revealing other convoluted dynamics between characters.

10. Valentine’s Day

If you’re searching for a light-hearted film with plenty of familiar faces, this is the movie for you. In Valentine’s Day, Julia Roberts, Taylor Lautner, Ashton Kutcher, Taylor Swift, Jamie Foxx, Bradley Cooper, Queen Latifah, Anne Hathaway and countless other renowned actors are followed through their quest for love and intersecting lives.