This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

If you’ve turned on the radio or logged into Spotify over the last school year, you’ve probably noticed that it’s been a wild year for music! Here are some of your college top 5 music favorites from the 2018 school year!!                                                                                                                         (media courtesy of photopin.com) 

5. “Nice for What” by Drake: This song is currently number one according to Shazam’s Top 100 list (found here). Its upbeat instrumental track and confident lyrics made it the perfect party song this year, and it is likely to continue to trend!

4. “Psycho” by Post Malone: Post Malone brings a unique sound to hip hop, and his specific balance between synthesizers and heavy bass makes his music chill to listen to. As a great song to hum along to with friends on the car ride back home, Post Malone definitely turned some heads and took off during the spring semester.

3. “Finesse” by Bruno Mars feat. Cardi B: With this generation’s funky prince and America’s current internet sweetheart, this 90’s inspired track was played everywhere, be it in a coffee shop, or a club. Finesse had (and will still have) people dancing well into the 2019 school year, and hopefully the dynamic duo collabs again soon!

2. “1-800” by Logic feat Alessia Cara and Khalid: On a more serious note, Logic created this song to spread awareness towards mental health, which is further explored on his album Everybody. While this track was released before the fall semester 2017, it continued to gain fame and stream on top of the Billboard, Spotify, and iTunes charts throughout the year. This grammy-nominated song mixes soft instrumentals, real lyrics, and quiet melodies to convey the weight of depression while still providing sparks of hope for those suffering. According to cnn.com, the lifeline received a 50% increase in calls after its release.

And finally,

1. “All the Stars” by Kendrick Lamar feat. The Weeknd feat. SZA: Released before the rest of the award-winning Black Panther album created by Kendrick Lamar, “All the Stars” soared to the top of the charts through its bars, angelic vocals, and powerful background track. The three of these artists created a masterpiece which blasted through campuses all of spring semester, and it continues to dominate the Shazam charts.                                                                                                                     (media courtesy of photopin.com)

With all of the amazing and catchy songs that came out this year, people are anticipating what is next for the next school year! Say goodbye to the 17-18 school year, and say hello and welcome the rise of some new and exciting music! 

*thumbnail courtesy of photopin.com

Erin Niemi

Cal Lutheran '20

Erin Niemi is a student at California Lutheran University and is pursuing her BA in Communication. When she isn't typing up a Her Campus article at a local coffee shop, you may find her at a concert, the beach or the movies! Erin is passionate about local news, beauty, science, sports, entertainment and music. She is also a huge Star Wars and MCU geek, and she will happily talk about either for hours if given the opportunity.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!