This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

As the holiday season approaches so does the acceptability of wearing blankets as coats around campus, drinking hot chocolate daily, and wearing brightly patterned jumpers and socks. Homes and dorms are decorated to the max and students push through the last grueling weeks of finals and papers knowing they have the holidays ahead of them filled with food, friends and family. However, being in L.A. can make it difficult to imagine Christmas is around the corner. The warmth of the Californian sun and palm trees swaying in the breeze makes the idea of winter seem deceiving despite being in December. For most people the idea of Christmas is based around snow, the cold and short dark days. So if you are feeling conflicted about whether it is Christmas or a warm seemingly-spring day, here are some places in L.A. you should visit to get yourself into the festive mood.The Grove (LA) or The Americana (Glendale) or The Promenade (Westlake Village)

Not only are these outdoor malls the perfect place to buy and add to your wish list, but they have plenty of festive spirit with beautiful decorations, music and a 100 foot tree. Keep an eye out for special events and the chance to visit Santa. At The Americana and The Grove, snow falls every day at 7pm and 8pm.

Outdoor Ice skating at Topanga Mall or Downtown LA

At the shopping center in Woodland Hills, Westfield’s Topanga Mall has an outdoor ice rink especially for the festive season. It is $17 for adults including skate rental and $13 for children 6 and under, senior 62+ and military. Another place to ice skate is Perishing Square in Downtown LA. It is 4500 square foot and offers beautiful scenery of towering Downtown skyscrapers so you can imagine you are in New York. General admission is $9 and skate rental is $4. For both of those places be sure to check the website for times and dates.LA Zoo Holiday Lights in Griffith Park

In the festive season the LA zoo offers the opportunity to watch a variety of light displays and shows. These include LED lights, lasers, 3D projections and animal themed sets and interactive displays. There is also a Reindeer Romp where live reindeer can be visited, arts and crafts, live music and the opportunity to visit Santa. The carousel is open for an extra $3. All the events are done safely so no animals are harmed. The price for admission is $14 on the weekdays and $18 on weekends.

Disneyland or Your Favourite Theme Park

This idea is a pricier than the previous suggestions, but what better way to get yourself into the festive spirit than surrounding yourself in it by visiting a theme park. The beautiful decorations, music, festive food and special events/ shows are a great way to celebrate and enjoy entertainment this time of year! The theme parks you can visit are; Disneyland, Knott’s Merry Farm, Holiday in the Park at Magic Mountain, and Grinchmas at Universal Studios.Candy Cane Lane

If you love the film “Deck the Halls” than you’ll like this suggestion. For over forty years a group of homeowners in Woodland Hills have been decorating their homes with lights and decorations every year. Candy Cane Lane can be found at the intersection of Lubao and Oxnard Street by Pierce College.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Photos Courtesy of https://pixabay.com/

Information Courtesy of https://www.tripsavvy.com/christmas-in-los-angeles-1586992

Rosie Baker

Cal Lutheran '21

Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. I am in my senior year completing a communication major and creative writing minor. Born and raised in England, I am a British girl California living who loves all things Disney, Friends, and beach related.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!