This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Finals are over and all that matters is how much time I’ll be spending on the beach when I am not working. I am beyond excited to put away the textbooks and break out the much ignored reading list and finally check some titles off! Below is a mix of thriller, mystery and drama novels I’ll be devouring over the next couple of weeks.

1. The Bad Daughter by Joy Fielding: A gripping, edge-of-your-seat thriller of family intrigue and dark secrets. This thriller follows Robin as she receives a voicemail from her sister that sends her back home to the scene of an attempted burglary that has left three of her family members fighting for their lives in the hospital. She begins to deal with her past and questions the secrets her family is keeping.

2. The September Society by Charles Finch: In 1866, a frantic widow visits detective Charles Lenox. Lady Annabelleâ’s son George has gone missing from his room at Oxford. When Lenox visits his alma mater to investigate he discovers a series of bizarre clues, including a murdered cat and a card cryptically referring to The September Society. This mystery follows detective Lenox as he tries to make connection between the crimes frantically occurring and the mysterious and exclusive society.

3. Ted Talks by Chris Anderson: Author, Chris Anderson, who took over Ted Talks in 2001, gives details to how carefully crafted talks can be the key to unlocking empathy, spreading knowledge, and promoting a shared dream. His guide to Ted Talks and general public speaking, will lead the reader to something more powerful than anything in written form.

4. Take Out by Margaret Maron:  NYPD Detective Sigrid Harald is called to investigate the poisoning of two homeless men in the West Village. As she goes through the investigation, she incovers neighborhood scandal surrounding two influential women: one a haughty mafia widow, the other a retired opera prima donna. Detective Sigrid Harald tries to unfold decade-long feuds while dealing with the loss of her lover.

5. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert: Elizabeth Gilbert leaves her perfect all-American life, overshadowed by panic and confusion, for Italy, India and Bali. In her early thirties, Gilbert searches for the balance between transcendence and enjoyment, leaving behind the norms her life has set for her, thus far.

6. I’ll Be Your Blue Sky by Marisa De Los SantosNew York Times bestselling author, Marisa De Los Santos delivers a captivating drama about family, friendship, secrets and sacrifice. Shifting between the a character’s story from the 1950s and the present, this heartfelt drama is sure to provoke emotion. 

7. The Only Child by Rhiannon Navin: This novel introduces readers to first grader Zach Taylor who has experienced a school shooting that took nineteen lives. Zach retreats into his secret hideout and loses himself in a world of books and art. Zach sets out on a captivating journey towards healing, forgiveness, and helping the adults in his life find peace within themselves after the darkest time in the community’s lives.

8. The Storm King by Brendan Duffy: A respected New York City surgeon, devoted husband, and loving father, Nate McHale, has left his tragic past in his hometown of Greystone Lake. Nate is finally drawn back home when he hears news of a body that has been discovered deep in the forests that surround his hometown. Filled with sinister history and complicated memories, Greystone Lake unleashes vengeance and well-kept secrets on Nate and the rest of the community. All Photos Courtesy of: Amazon

Hi my name is Laura Reyes! I'm majoring in Criminal Justice and Psychology at Cal Lutheran.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!