This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

One of my goals for the year of 2017 was to save some money and create a realistic budget.  It’s now December and while I may not have saved up enough to pay off tuition for the next two years at Cal Lutheran, I did save up enough to give back to those in need. I am so beyond grateful to live such a fortunate life and am a firm believer in giving back to later receive. It is such an amazing feeling to know that donating even the smallest amount to any worthy cause can make a big impact to those who are going through unimaginable hardships. I’ve compiled a list of some of the organizations that resonate the most with me and hope they inspire you to give back or raise awareness!

Photo Courtesy of: hollyaustinsmith.com

1. Thomas Fire Fund

The fires in Ventura County have been so destructive and have left so many people displaced and without their homes this holiday season. Instead of feeling defeated, I set out to find the best way to help the fire victims. In-person donations to different relief centers are an effective way to give back and virtually giving back by searching “Thomas Fire Fund” will also go directly back to those affected by the Thomas Fire.

2. 147 Million Orphans

I learned about this non-profit through country artist, Thomas Rhett and his wife Lauren Akins who work so closely with this non-profit. This organization provides critical needs for children living in poverty and being impacted by the orphan crisis. This organization works with the children in Uganda and is continuing to broaden their services. 147 Million Orphans has t-shirts for sale which help provide funds for medical supplies, food, water and other needs that these children find themselves without. The shirts make great gifts and help a child in need!

3. Downtown Women’s Center

This center is located in Los Angeles and is dedicated to providing shelter and life skills to women facing homelessness. This is an amazing center that advocate the growing rate of homeless individual’s throughout the United States. Funded 38 years ago, the Downtown Women’s Center permanently houses 95% of the women in their center and carry a mission of no closed doors only opportunities. You can donate money, volunteer or simply advocate for their cause and make a difference in the lives of many women.

4. My Friend’s Place

This non-profit serves nearly half of the homeless youth in Los Angeles. Their services provide help for ages 12 to 25 and their children. My Friend’s Place provides these individuals with meals, clothing, shower facilities and day-time shelter. They not only provide homeless youth with these essentials but also offer GED and homework tutoring, job search programs, as well as integrating trauma-informed care to those who have suffered with sexual or physical abuse. You can give back by donating clothing, food donations or monetary donations year-round!

5. The Young Center

The Young Center for Immigrants Children’s Rights is a human rights organization that helps children from all around the world who arrive to the United States alone. These professionals help by becoming a Child’s Advocate, as appointed by the Department of Health and Human Services. They provide services and legal representation for these children, when the courts are deciding whether to keep them in the United States or not and go as far as providing their services and support when they are not kept in the U.S. You can help by advocating or through monetary donations.

While there are plenty of different causes to advocate for and donate to, these are some of the most important to me. The list of nonprofits I’d like to help is endless but I encourage everyone to make their donations personal and do research based on what they believe needs the most help. I know that college students are infamous for being broke throughout their college career but it is important to remember that a little goes a long way and any advocacy helps too. Happy donating!

Photo Courtesy of: paytonpr.com

Hi my name is Laura Reyes! I'm majoring in Criminal Justice and Psychology at Cal Lutheran.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!