This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

The day of romance is fast approaching here in February, but this in no way suggests you must wait until then to spread and share some love. Love can be expressed in actions, actions towards significant others, family members, best friends, peers, complete strangers, animals, or the Earth itself. These actions can be expressed in drastic and incredible measures, but the beauty of love also lies in its simplicity. It lies in kindness. It lives in happy smiles and friendly waves. It exists in holding a door for the mother with her hands full, or in lifting a suitcase from baggage claim for an elderly man, or picking someone else’s trash and disposing of it in its proper bin. It shows when a sick, stray dog is given food and shelter or when clothing is given to the shivering, homeless man on the sidewalk. Love thrives in the smallest actions.

Can you think of a time when you witnessed such an act? With witnessing it, were you encouraged to carry on this same kindness? There does not have to be a witness when you do something nice without being told for someone else, but it is more powerful when onlookers are gathered around. In this way, the hope is that they have been influenced by what they have seen, and that when a situation approaches, giving them the opportunity to act, they too will step forward. This is how the love is spread. From one action, to one onlooker, to one action, and maybe then to a crowd. It cycles and it grows. It overpowers.

As a student on campus there are an infinite amount of ways you can express kindness. If your key card is near then use it to open a door for someone else who would have to rummage through their bag for his or her own. If you have a extra scantron and you realize someone has forgotten one, share it. If you have a meal plan, and a commuter friend forgets a lunch, then swipe them in the cafeteria under a guest meal. If you notice a student drop some cash or some papers, be quick to help pick them up and return it to the owner. There are going to be an ample of opportunities where you can choose to act kindly, so don’t hesitate when the time comes.

One of the most powerful acts of kindness is a smile. A smile is an acknowledgement of another human being, and it can be towards someone you may or may not have known previously. It is interesting to see the reactions people give from others who smile at them. There are individuals who choose to ignore the kind gesture and avoid eye contact or any social interaction. Then there are those who are surprised that they are being acknowledged and smile so brightly in return, which makes smiling in the first place so worth it. Walking down a busy city street or walking through campus on a busy school day, you are bound to pass some power walkers going about their hectic schedules. For these people so caught up in getting where they need to go, if you catch their eyes and share a smile in the midst of their fast paced day then it can given a different mentality. Who knows how it made them feel? You shouldn’t be surprised to know, but  a smile goes a long way. Has someone ever smiled at you, which just made your day? I know it has the power to. Have you ever smiled at someone, and received a beautiful smile in return? If not, I challenge you to do so. Don’t wait for someone to smile first. Just do it.

I hope you have thought of a few acts of kindness that you have witnessed, but if you cannot recall any then there is no need to wait before you see kindness happen. Be the catalyst. On a planet where hatred resides, be brave and stand to live with love and to spread it in any way possible.

Lauren Rezak

Cal Lutheran

I am an Environmental Science major at California Lutheran University who also has a passion for art.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!