This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Dear Nanna,

I wanted to write this letter to you to let you know that you are one of the most beautiful, strong, funny and intelligent people I know. You are a role model to me, your children, your grandchildren and your great grandchildren. What’s more, as it is International Women’s Day on March 8th, I wanted to write this letter publicly to you so that others know how truly amazing and special you are.

To anyone that doesn’t know my Nanna, meet Pauline. She lives in the UK (where I am from) by the South Coast near my family. She makes the best tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches, offers the tastiest food, always looks so stylish, and loves to shop to keep up to date with the latest trends.

Nanna is very special and unique, partly because there are very few nannas in this world that know how to use an iPad and send messages on Facebook with emoji’s, but also because I know very few nannas that go out to the theatre on a Friday night to watch dance shows, which means you go to bed at the same time as me!  

As I’m sure you know, I love listening to your stories of growing up as a child in World War 2. I can’t imagine what life must have been like sitting in the Anderson shelter at the bottom of your garden and listening to the chaos going on around you. I vividly remember you telling me of the time when you were chased by a German gunfighter plane down your road. In that moment you showed the world who you are.

Sometimes I wish I could have lived through the eras that you have: living through World War 2 as a child, going to big band dances in London in the 40’s, the rise of the Beetles and hippies in the 60’s, flared trousers and black forest gateau in the 70’s, big hair, Michael Jackson & Whitney Houston in the 80’s along with Forrest Gump in the 90’s and the rise of the internet and technology. What’s more you have traveled to various places around the world that I hope to visit one day. Thanks to you (and grandad’s suede shoes :) ), you created a strong family, teaching us to enjoy and take the opportunities we are given. Because of you I live to be the best person that I can be and I “say yes” when life opens up new doors whether that is at school or going on new adventures. You give the best advice and help me to be strong.Thank you for always being there and for being a best friend.  I miss you so much, we all do. Summer can’t come quickly enough! Until then I love our conversations and catching up with you. See you in a few months!

Love you lots Nanna,

Rosie

“Distance means so little when someone means so much” <3

Rosie Baker

Cal Lutheran '21

Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. I am in my senior year completing a communication major and creative writing minor. Born and raised in England, I am a British girl California living who loves all things Disney, Friends, and beach related.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!