bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Look After Yourself This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

We have all been sufferers of getting sick in the winter season, even in L.A. where the temperatures rarely drop below 70F in the middle of the day. I too this year have been a victim of getting sick this winter with the flu, in fact as I write this article I’m still on the road to getting better. It can be difficult as students living in dorms close together, and hanging-out with one another every day; it makes it easier for germs to spread. The tell-tale signs of a burning nose or sore throat or constant coughing can instantly cause a student to panic. An image of spending days on end in bed snuggled with your fluffy blanket whilst sleeping or watching Netflix come to mind, which in one hand sounds appealing, but what about all the work that is due and the classes you’re missing? If you are not well enough to attend class it can be a struggle and a burden to catch up. Luckily we go to a smaller college where we can build relationships with our professors; from my experience the professors are very understanding and kind.It’s important that we take time to look after ourselves and that we are prepared incase we get sick suddenly. All too often you start the day feeling fine and then out of no-where you find yourself curled up in bed feeling sorry for yourself and your roommate as they now have to live with you for the next few days. Here’s a list of ideas to consider, hopefully these help with you:

1. This is probably the most important part of looking ourselves. GET SLEEP (at least 6 hours a day). It can be difficult as a student to juggle work, socializing and sleep. This is a triangle and often it is only possible to do 2; work and socializing, socializing and sleep or sleep and work. Keep it balanced!
  2. Eat well. Yes you’ve heard this before just like number 1.
  3. Vitamins. Vitamins. Vitamins.
  4. This is pretty obvious, but wrap up when it gets cold.
  5. Use hand sanitizer. Often.
  6. One of the dirtiest places we come into contact with every day, every hour is our phone. Don’t forget to sanitize that too! Just think of all the surfaces it’s touched and places it’s been. EW.
  7. Have Advil/Aleve, Vick VapoRub (I swear by it), cough sweets and tissues ready in your dorm incase you get sick.

Here’s to a great winter of looking after ourselves and not getting sick!

All Photos Courtesy of Pixabay.com

Rosie Baker

Cal Lutheran '21

Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. I am in my senior year completing a communication major and creative writing minor. Born and raised in England, I am a British girl California living who loves all things Disney, Friends, and beach related.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!