Having an International Background Explained by Barack Obama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Having an international background means that one or both of your parents are immigrants, or you’re from another country. Last year, Netflix released an amazing film called, “Barry” that tells a tale of how Barack Obama accepted his background. Everyone’s stories of how they got here are very different. Here are some scenarios that people with international backgrounds go through, as told by our 44th President.

Getting the question “Where are you/your parents from?” and confidently telling them a story of how you or your parents got here. “I was born in Singapore, but my family moved to Michigan when I was six”

Planning the trip back to the “homeland” to visit your family.“First, we have to go to Grandma’s, then go to Uncle’s house”.

“Oh, we also have to stop for that really good restaurant we used to go to”

When your family prepares a giant feast for you.Dig in! You can’t have some of these things in America.

Talking to a person you’ve never met before and completely forget how to speak the language. “Hey come meet my boss”

When you have to leave and go in a metal cylinder for ten plus hours with three-hundred people.Airplanes aren’t fun, especially when using the restroom.

When you have to leave your family and friends in that country and the thoughts of you never seeing them again come to you.​These next four years are going to be interesting.

But you also cannot wait to see your lovely friends that you’ve made in America.

During these four years, always remember…

Emily Yoshida

Cal Lutheran

Hi I'm Emily and Im a HCCLU Alum!         
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!