clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Good-Bye to My Mentor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

To my mentor and one of my best friends,

Thank you for everything you’ve done for me the past three years I’ve been at Cal Lutheran. I knew college wasn’t going to be easy and I knew I would need people around me to support me and encourage me and just be there for me, but I never expected a mentor, an older sister, and a new best friend.

You were my RA my first year at Cal Lutheran and I am not going to lie, I thought you were so intimidating. But I also knew not to judge a book by its cover because I have a fantastic RBF myself, and I’m only the second letter of that acronym when I’m really angry. A few months later I knew I was right, you were funny and smart, and I knew we would get along well. We got so close in a span of months and there are so many insiders that I could put in this letter, but this article wouldn’t make anymore sense.

I also knew I wanted to be an RA when I came to Cal Lutheran but even more so after getting to know you more and seeing how passionate you were, and still are, about the position. I didn’t realize how many lives I could impact as a RA until I saw what you did and the way you helped every resident you possibly could. I’d never met someone who cared so selflessly and whole heartedly for so many people than you. You inspired me to apply for the RA position and you helped me with the entire process. You were rooting for me every step of the way, and when I didn’t get the position, you were there to remind me that it wasn’t the end of the world. You supported me when I got my first job as a sales associate at Forever 21 and you would show up while I was working. Thanks for making me laugh during those long, somewhat terrible work shifts.

You and I were also planning on going to law school and we would make nerdy law jokes. You made a rap about stop and frisk during finals week of my second year and that will forever be an iconic moment in my life. We would rant about people in our classes or fan girl over a case that was so interesting we could talk about it for over an hour. But you’re not going to law school anymore, but you’re still going to absolutely slay in grad school. I’m so proud of you for getting into your dream school, getting that amazing job opportunity, and for having the courage to change your career path to make yourself happy. Not many people have that courage, but you’re one of the bravest people I know, so it makes sense. 

Living together with you was a combination of laughter, tears, ranting, and cooking all wrapped up in some of the best memories I’ll ever have of living on campus. We would have late night conversations and late night food runs. Staying up with you while you were on duty was always fun because we would end up finding some way to entertain ourselves. Cooking with (for) you was always an event, especially when I made crepes and everyone took turns trying to flip it in the air. I was proud of all of us, we actually managed to do it. The Snaps I have saved that show snippets of exactly how crazy and fun our lives are the videos I watch that make me laugh when I’m having a bad day. 

While we were living together you became even more of a mentor and a sister to me. You showed me what you did as a RA and you became my role model. I knew if I applied for the position again I would approach it and see how you would do everything, but still maintain who I am as a person. Of course, I did reapply for the position and you were present for one part of the interview process. I remember coming back from that part of the process and you told me how proud you were of me because I did so well. At that point I wasn’t just happy that I did well, I was happy that you were so proud of me.

And now we’re here, it’s your senior year and you’re leaving. Cal Lutheran will not be the same without you, you’ve changed the lives of so many people here for the better, that I know you will be missed. I’m sorry we aren’t as close this year as we were before. But I wanted to write this to thank you for everything. Thank you for the long conversations and for the inside jokes. Thank you for your constant support and encouragement. Thank you for helping me know my worth and for always reminding me to trust myself and to remember just how good I can be. Thank you for the food runs and the sing-a-longs and serenades. Thank you for the hugs, the flirting that makes us both laugh, the air kisses, and the hand holding. Thank you for the fun and for the memories. Thank you for being an older sister. Thank you for believing in me and for being one of my number one supporters. Thank you for being my mentor. Thank you for being one of my best friends. I am so proud of you, I know you’ll conquer the world once that degree is in your hand. I can’t wait to see what you’ll accomplish. The world better get ready for you because you’re about to take it by storm. Thank you for everything love.

With all the love in the world,

Ky

Kyla Buenaventura

Cal Lutheran '19

Kyla Buenaventura was the Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran from 2017-2019. She double majored in Economics and Political Science with an emphasis in Law and Public Policy. When she was still at Cal Lutheran, she loved writing and inspiring her Writing Team to express their love and passion for topics through their own unique writing styles.