This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

It is finally here! We have completed another year of college. You should feel proud of yourself and accomplished because you are one step closer to reaching your goals. However, don’t let this summer send you several steps backwards in advancing toward your goals. Summer is such an amazing time because you have the ability to slow down and take a break without any obligations; no homework, no paper deadlines, no more assigned reading, but with all this time off it is also a great time to perfect a skill, read leisurely or even just broaden your knowledge on something that may interest you. I am not necessarily advocating for every student to take summer classes but taking part in something that you are passionate about can be fulfilling and motivating. A lot of times during summer vacations we find ourselves at home on the couch, binge watching our favorite shows. This is great for the first week until the boredom sets in and then you realize that you have done nothing all summer, nothing to show of your 3-4 months of vacation. To avoid getting into a rut this summer here are some ideas on how to keep the momentum through summer vacation:

1. Make a reading list (and actually read what you listed!)Photo Courtesy Of UnSplash.com
  2. Take up a new skill (learn to play piano, draw, build your photography portfolio, etc.)Photo Courtesy of UnSplash.com
  3. Find a summer job
  4. Plan a trip with friendsPhoto Courtesy of UnSplash.com
  5. Check one item off of your bucket list

Summer is a great time to get creative, have new experiences, or even get ahead in your studies. Planning and organization are key factors into having a successful summer of self-improvement and growth. Growing as a person doesn’t have to end when school lets out.  Summer is all about having fun and relaxing. The ability to accomplish something at your own pace is what makes summer a much needed break. Don’t waste your time this summer!

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!