This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I think everyone can agree that women are works of art. We are all unique, and each of us have qualities that make us beautiful. We are intelligent, kind, confident, and we all have passions. We, quite literally, run the world, and we strive to be more and more loving every single day. So why do we continue to enforce our own culture known for pitting women against women by badmouthing and backstabbing each other?

Why do we claim to support other women, but make fun of the girl comfortable enough in her own skin to go without makeup for a week? Why do we promote the thought of a girl who loves to eat a good meal, but ask her why she’s reaching for more bread or asking her is she’s seriously going to “finish that?” Why do we gas our friends up for looking great on a weekday, but likewise tear others down out of jealousy for dressing up for no reason at all? Why do we have to make ourselves feel better by tearing down another girl for their spirit?

We all claim to empower each other and to respect other’s decisions, but we still catch ourselves working against everything we stand for by tearing other girls down. I don’t understand how we can claim to support women and desire a strong sense of sisterhood from each other, but talk smack about them and criticize them for what they wear or their sexual history. Being catty and “petty,” though joked about in casual conversation, does not help us empower others and only complicates things for us. In order to bring other women up and truly be respectful, we have to practice this with ALL women, not just our friends. We need to spread more positive energy amongst ourselves instead of treating everything like a contest. Instead of teaming up girl versus girl, we should all team up together as one and try to carry a more united form of energy.                                                                                         *photo courtesy of Photopin.com

Instead of making fun of the woman who doesn’t wear a full face of makeup, maybe we should compliment her on her natural beauty. Instead of criticizing a woman for wanting a full meal, maybe we should buy some french fries with her. Instead of only hyping up our friends when they look good, maybe we should pay a random compliment to a stranger and spread some love. We are all important and we are all beautiful, so I say we should all start treating other women like the beautiful people they are, instead of treating them as a contest or an enemy we have to beat. Being catty is not going to get us anywhere, and in times that call for strong sisterhood, we should be the ones trying to make it happen.

Today, try to stand up for the woman who is getting put down for something. Applaud each other for their confidence and for their style, and applaud them for their kindness. Let’s bring each other up and compliment each other, rather than step on others in hopes of boosting our own self-confidence. We should look out for each other and take care of each other, instead of cliquing up and staying inside our groups. By lifting other women up, we likewise lift ourselves up, and that is an amazing thing! The concept of sisterhood is commonly overlooked, but proves to be a powerful thing for women everywhere, and we all deserve to treat ourselves and others with the postive energy we seek. 

Let’s spread some sister vibes, and treat our fellow works of art as that; art.

*thumbnail courtesy of Photopin.com

Erin Niemi

Cal Lutheran '20

Erin Niemi is a student at California Lutheran University and is pursuing her BA in Communication. When she isn't typing up a Her Campus article at a local coffee shop, you may find her at a concert, the beach or the movies! Erin is passionate about local news, beauty, science, sports, entertainment and music. She is also a huge Star Wars and MCU geek, and she will happily talk about either for hours if given the opportunity.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!