This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I swear I still feel like a sophomore. Where did those three years go?

Those three years went to growth deeply rooted in mistakes and accomplishments and earning an A on that paper you finished at 5:37 AM. Those three years went toward exploring every possible career option; finding out you suck at accounting, and finally finding your perfect match, rooted to your first love, science. They went toward figuring out the ropes of adult friendship: recognizing the fact that you aren’t going to see your favorite people every day and you do need to make an effort to uphold those friendships. Those three years encompassed great travel to lands you had only dreamt of as a child, met by amazing love and support you didn’t think you were lucky enough to have. Those three years were full of deadlines and twelve page papers on something that should only take 3 pages to explain and boring lectures and hours in the library and those moments where you think “what am I even doing with my life?”

Let me tell you something. Those three years were arguably the most integral three years of your transition into adulthood. As a Cal Lutheran senior, you’ve been molded to find your purpose and if you’re lucky, you already have. For those of us who haven’t, it’s not too late and you are okay. Keep trying new things and be so busy that you swear you don’t have time to breathe. Now is the time to be in over your head. You’re a college student, you’re educated, and you’re young: take advantage of that. Before you know it, the real world will hit and half of your opportunities will disappear because you are not longer a “college student”.

So go out there and make this last year count. It’s not too late to try something new and it is not too late to make new friends. Step out of your comfort zone and make yourself feel like a freshman: slightly scared and thrown into a new situation. Remember how much you grew in your first year in college? You can keep growing in your last! It is outside your comfort zone where you find growth so take the leap. 

This next year is devoted to making new mistakes and finding success in new challenges and still earning an A on that paper you will finish at 4:37 AM as you are slightly more responsible. This next year is devoted toward the eternal battle of not setting your alarm for “just 10 more minutes” from the time it first goes off. This next year is devoted toward navigating pivotal career decisions and appreciating those twelve page papers on something that should only take 3 pages to explain and participating during those boring lectures. This next year, you will grow. That is what matters.

*All photos provided by the author.

Andrea Lopez

Cal Lutheran

Andrea is a sophomore at California Lutheran University. She's currently trying out many different career paths, driven by her creative passions to help people. She's a dreamer who has the discipline to turn these dreams into her reality. The moment she starts thinking rationally is the moment she has lost all hope. Andrea believes in being irrational, and taking risks. She cares to travel the world in the hope to be exposed to as many viewpoints as possible. Andrea wants to help people live the lives they desire. She believes in the insane kind of love, the one that drives you crazy. She believes deeply in Jay Gatsby and Peter Parker. Andrea is an artist at heart and a scientist by nature. She wants it all. She wants to make an impact.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!