Recipes We Love: Crockpot Stuffed Peppers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.
Peppers-Stuffed.jpgThis blast of gusty snow, negative temperatures and tundra-like conditions could only be defined as one thing, ‘The Polar Vortex”. A weather pattern from the North Pole is really giving it us here in the United States and it’s leaving the snow belt of Michigan shivering.

With the lack of warmth from sun, we must resort to the warmth from food. Food has a way of bringing people together and sharing a warm feeling of home. Home cooked meals are one of the many things college students miss when they start preparing meals on their own. The amount Ramen Noodles and Pasta Sides seem never ending as our weight lines keep growing.

Don’t let the weather fool you into thinking carb-overload as the only option for warmth. I’m here to bring spice, flavor and a little health kick to your gloomy winter days.

This week’s specialty is: Stuffed mini peppers in the crock-pot.

Crock-pot recipes are gold for us time restricted college students because they are so easy and they cook themselves! Today’s recipe uses a mini 1-quart crock-pot (nothing fancy and nothing big) and makes enough for about 4-5 people.

Heres what you’ll need:

½- ¾ bag of mini peppers (red, yellow and orange)

1 cup of brown rice

1 lb ground turkey breast (for us healthy conscious ones)

2 8oz spaghetti sauce jars (any flavor that fits your fancy)

½ cup Parmesan cheese

Preparation: First, start by browning the ground turkey using a medium sized saucepan. As the meat is browning, in a small pot bring water to a boil, add brown rice and let simmer until rice is soft. Once both turkey and rice are prepared, combine both into a large mixing bowl. Using a kitchen cutting board cut off the tops of about 12-16 peppers, varying in color (also remove seeds!). As the meat and rice mixture cools, take about 2-3 tbs of the mixture and stuff each pepper- make sure to pack it down! As you stuff the peppers, line the bottom of the crock-pot and continue to stack one on top of each other. Once you’ve stuffed all the peppers, pour both jars of sauce over the peppers, place lid on crock-pot and turn heat to low. Give your peppers about 3-4 hours to soak in all the juices and spices. Serve the peppers on a plate covered in Parmesan cheese to your hungriest friends and you’ll sure be a hit!

This super easy and healthy recipe will bring spice, flavor and warmth to even the coldest of days. The polar vortex may be keeping us indoors, but it sure isn’t stopping our taste buds!

Bon Appetite! 

This blast of gusty snow, negative temperatures and tundra-like conditions could only be defined as one thing, ‘The Polar Vortex”. A weather pattern from the North Pole is really giving it us here in the United States and it’s leaving the snow belt of Michigan shivering.

Heres what you’ll need:

1 cup of brown rice

½ cup Parmesan cheese

Bon Appetite!  This blast of gusty snow, negative temperatures and tundra-like conditions could only be defined as one thing, ‘The Polar Vortex”. A weather pattern from the North Pole is really giving it us here in the United States and it’s leaving the snow belt of Michigan shivering.

Heres what you’ll need:

1 cup of brown rice

½ cup Parmesan cheese

Bon Appetite! This blast of gusty snow, negative temperatures and tundra-like conditions could only be defined as one thing, ‘The Polar Vortex”. A weather pattern from the North Pole is really giving it us here in the United States and it’s leaving the snow belt of Michigan shivering.

Heres what you’ll need:

1 cup of brown rice

½ cup Parmesan cheese

Bon Appetite!  

This week’s specialty is: Crockpot Stuffed Mini Peppers 

Heres what you’ll need:

1 cup of brown rice

½ cup Parmesan cheese

Preparation: First, start by browning the ground turkey using a medium sized saucepan. As the meat is browning, in a small pot bring water to a boil, add brown rice and let simmer until rice is soft. Once both turkey and rice are prepared, combine both into a large mixing bowl. Using a kitchen cutting board cut off the tops of about 12-16 peppers, varying in color (also remove seeds!). As the meat and rice mixture cools, take about 2-3 tbs of the mixture and stuff each pepper- make sure to pack it down! As you stuff the peppers, line the bottom of the crock-pot and continue to stack one on top of each other.

Once you’ve stuffed all the peppers, pour both jars of sauce over the peppers, place lid on crock-pot and turn heat to low. Give your peppers about 3-4 hours to soak in all the juices and spices. Serve the peppers on a plate covered in Parmesan cheese to your hungriest friends and you’ll sure be a hit!

Bon Appetite!