The NCAA Basketball Season Begins, and the Chippewas Defeat the Eastern Michigan Eagles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

College basketball honors our nation’s veterans in season opener in Germany

Michigan state University and the University of Connecticut honored our nation’s veterans by playing the first game of the 2012-2013 NCAA season at Ramstein Air Base, in Germany.

The two teams played in camouflage jerseys in honor for the occasion, while the stands were also filled with camouflage as American soldiers and veterans dressed in their uniforms to support their respective teams and celebrate the beginning of the NCAA basketball season.

Michigan State’s head coach, Tom Izzo, believes that not only does playing in a foreign country show respect to America’s Armed Forces, it also illustrates the importance of details to his team by being around soldiers who’s life depend around them.

Coach Izzo also believes that the eight-hour flight, staying at a hotel, and the entire experience of being in another country creates team-unity within the program and will help with the success of his team.

Before the game on Friday night, both teams were given a private tour of two cargo planes and were able to visit the medical military facility that treats wounded soldiers and veterans. Not only were both teams able to learn from our servicemen and servicewoman, they were also able to give back to the country of Germany and America’s Armed Forces by running mini-clinics and allowing them to practice with their teams on both nights before the big game.  

The Michigan State Spartans have now lost back-to-back season openers, with a loss last year in San Diego against North Carolina and losing their 2012-13 season opener on Friday night to UConn.

The two teams started off the NCAA basketball season by honoring their nation’s soldiers, and should make for another great college basketball season.

Chippewas win in close game over Eastern Michigan

The Chippewas traveled to Ypsilanti to play Eastern Michigan on Saturday with a chip on their shoulder after losing to the Eagles last year at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

The Chippewa’s defense started off slow, giving up fourteen unanswered points and giving the Eagles a 14-0 lead heading into the second quarter, but Central Michigan quickly bounced back. Quarterback, Ryan Radcliff threw a 10 yard touchdown pass to Andrew Flory, that was followed by a 23 yard field goal by David Harman on the following drive that gave Eastern Michigan a 14-10 lead at halftime.

The Eagles came out of the locker room with intensity by scoring a touchdown on their first drive of the second half that gave them a 21-10 lead. The Chippewas weren’t done yet, as Zurlon Tipton made it a three point game with an 11 yard rushing touchdown. The Chips kept the momentum for the remainder of the game when Eastern threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown by Chippewa’s Kavon Frazier to give Central Michigan their first lead of the day.

CMU’s defense forced the Eagles to punt on their following drive and gave the Chippewas the ball with 4:40 left in the third quarter. CMU’s running back, Zurlon Tipton opened the drive with a 31 yard run that eventually allowed Radcliff to connect with Andrew Flory for another touchdown, and a commanding 31-21 lead over the Eagles headed into the final quarter.

It was a close game, but the Chippewas were able to hold onto a three point lead at the end of the 4th quarter to get the eventual 34-31 win over Eastern Michigan.

Zurlon Tipton has rushed for an impressive 1,093 yards this season, which is the most rushing yards since 2007 for the Chippewas. Tipton’s rushing yards this season has also allowed Chippewa’s quarterback, Ryan Radcliff to throw the ball efficiently. Radcliff’s 284 passing yards and two touchdowns on Saturday  allowed the Chippewas to widen their play-calling and get the win over the Eagles.

Central Michigan will play their last home game of the season on Saturday, November 17 against Miami, and are certainly looking for a win to finish their season off strong.

Sources:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/11/08/michigan-state-vs-uconn-season-opener-at-air-base-hangar-in-germany/

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323152199

Photo credit:

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10500&ATCLID=205732099

I am a sophomore at CMU, I love sports, and being with my family and friends
Laura Szatkowski is a senior at Central Michigan University graduating in December, 2012. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations with a minor in English. Laura has had numerous internships in a wide variety of industries throughout college. Laura is passionate about all things PR and social media related and is looking forward to traveling and working outside of Michigan after graduation.