This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Whoever you are, I can almost see you blush as I remind you that at some point in your life you have heard or said, “Long hair, don’t care!”  The saying represents a sense of youthfulness and carefreeness that we all tend to associate with long locks. Whether it’s pin straight, curly, blonde, red or black, we all have some attachment to our hair; it gives us something to twirl while bored in class, something to whip back and forth when Willow Smith’s “Whip Your Hair Back and Forth” comes on the radio, and let’s face it, sometimes even if we have a zit or are wearing no makeup, it makes us feel pretty.

What if that was all taken from you due to an already horrible situation? During treatment, some patients that are already enduring a life-changing cancer diagnosis lose their hair in the process. Though woman are beautiful with or without their hair, many cancer patients long to do those simple things like twirl or brush their hair simply to feel a little bit more normal.

When my hair reached to the middle of my back, the word “haircut” panicked me as I’m sure it does for some of you. After years of growth, chopping all your hair off can seem a little bit frightening. However, the word “donation” sounds a little more uplifting, right? For those of you that are unfamiliar, hair donation is when an individual cuts their hair off then sends it to an organization that will make it into a wig for a cancer patient.

If you are willing and ready to donate your hair, it is pretty simple! Every organization has their own requirements, but most request a minimum of 8-12 inches of hair to be donated. There is no shortage of hair donation charities, so there should be no trouble finding one that you feel comfortable with. Some of the more popular ones include Locks of Love, Pantene Beautiful Lengths, Wigs for Kids, Angel Hair for Kids and many more.

Some hair salons are already affiliated with hair donation organizations and will send your hair in with no additional charge. If not, you can always choose to cut your ponytail off at the salon, put it in the envelope/package that meet specifications at home, and then send it from there!

I have donated 12 inches of hair twice in my life and it was a great experience both times. I would encourage those that are considering it to do it! It definitely doesn’t take hair to make somebody beautiful, but for a cancer patient, it can change their world.  Those that would prefer not to donate hair can always donate money to national organizations or volunteer hours at events on campus. Donation in whatever form is generous and appreciated. 

A sophomore at Central Michigan University studying Integrative Public Relations.